1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Odd shift lever alignment problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 07:36 PM
Beginning Member
1985BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road
Default Odd shift lever alignment problem

I'm having a problem with my automatic shift lever and the Back-Up Light/Neutral switch on the steering column.

If you've installed one of these Back-up light switches, you'll know that there's an adjustment you do once it's installed such that the contacts line up to turn on the back-up lights when you shift into Reverse. I can do this adjustment, but then, when I shift into Park, it's possible to mess up the alignment of the switch with the shift lever such that it doesn't turn on the backup lights when you shift into Reverse. I've tried replacing the switch with a new one, and though it's better, the problem still exists.

It's almost like the whole shift lever mechanism on the steering column is too far counter-clockwise relative to the transmission positions, but I have no idea if there's any way to adjust the linkage between column shift level and transmission. Or maybe whatever stops the lever when you go to Park is worn and let's the lever go too far.

I'm stumped at this point. Open to any suggestions.

Old 09-13-2019, 11:02 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Are you going by the gear indicator or by the detents you feel as you move the lever? The indicator can be adjusted. I learned this when I had a '92 without the digital gauge set. If not that, perhaps the linkage at the transmission has slipped.

Old 09-13-2019, 11:58 PM
Beginning Member
1985BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

I'm going by the detents. This problem has nothing to do with the gear indicator.

Ultimately, I think the problem has to do with excessive play in the shifter mechanism going into Park. I reasoned this way: The switch has fixed angles of movement between Reverse and Park. That can't be changed. I can adjust the switch to turn on my backup lights with the car in Reverse, but when I shift into Park, the shift mechanism hits the end of the switch's travel and keeps going, dragging the switch with it. It changes the adjustment of the switch because it goes too far counterclockwise relative to where the Reverse position is.

No one has come up with any other solution, so I think I'm just going to have to get the switch adjusted to where my backup lights come on in Reverse and then superglue it so it can't move anymore. The switch will then take the brunt of the excess shift lever movement, but I don't know of anything else to do.