1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

oil leak dipstick cracked?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 12:34 PM
Beginning Member
fruggy is on a distinguished road

the first two are the pcv system. and the third is the side its leaking the passenger engine bay. you can see its a little wet on the frame. the fourth is through the wheel well on the passenger front. I dont know what that cyclinder looking thing is but its all wet from the oil. and above it is the exhaust manifold (just to give you the idea where things are) cause picture alone for me atleast would be a little confusing telling where it is. thanks for the replies hope this helps.

Attached Thumbnails oil leak dipstick cracked?-downsized_0426001317.jpg   oil leak dipstick cracked?-downsized_0426001317a.jpg   oil leak dipstick cracked?-downsized_0426001317b.jpg   oil leak dipstick cracked?-0426001317c.jpg  
Old 04-26-2010, 12:39 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The line that runs up to the air filter box or into the air filter duct work should be unrestricted. If there is a PCV valve in the line, it could cause a vacuum to be pulled on the engine which can cause leaks as strange as it sounds. The fresh air make up needs to be a clear shot to filtered air before the throttle body.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:50 PM
Beginning Member

sorry dont quite follow. may I add this has been this way for a for a year well the first picture with the pcv valve going into the intake. Is that the one you are saying is not set up right? If so what do I need to do to fix it?thanks

Old 04-26-2010, 01:01 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The stock PCV valve runs into the intake plenum where it sees manifold vacuum. The other should just be a tube that runs into the air filter housing or into the duct between the filter housing and the throttle body.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:06 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
The stock PCV valve runs into the intake plenum where it sees manifold vacuum. The other should just be a tube that runs into the air filter housing or into the duct between the filter housing and the throttle body.
Ah I see. do they have anything for that like a part? or is it kinda just make it your own way Im assuming. Ill probably just get some hose that fits the pcv and run it to the intake duct.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:08 PM
Administrator

You do not want a PCV valve in the fresh air return line. I am trying to dig up a schematic for your truck now.

*EDIT* Well, that is the way most are setup... This has be questioning that now.. Still, I do not think that it has a PCV valve at the 'air in' location. Just a plastic elbow. If you were to knock the guts out of the PCV valve at that location, and connect it up properly, then see how things work out for you.

Attached Thumbnails oil leak dipstick cracked?-94_vac_diag.gif  
Old 04-26-2010, 01:21 PM
Beginning Member

ok yes the air in. It used to have just a grommet and then a hose that led to nothing. that was broken maybe 2 months ago and thats when i just put a pcv valve there. doesent seem like it would make a difference with what I did but it does make sense that it could since it just started happening recently. I guess I will go back to the way it was setup and see what happens

Old 04-26-2010, 04:36 PM
Leeann_Bravada is an unknown quantity at this point

There is supposed to be a plastic elbow in that grommet, then a hose that goes to the side of the air filter box.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:07 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Leeann_Bravada
There is supposed to be a plastic elbow in that grommet, then a hose that goes to the side of the air filter box.
do you think that would really be the cause of my oil leak?

Old 04-26-2010, 05:29 PM
Leeann_Bravada is an unknown quantity at this point

Having a pcv valve in place of the elbow, absolutely.

Quick Reply: oil leak dipstick cracked?