1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Olds Bravada Help Needed Please!

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 08:32 AM
Peru Motors is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Olds Bravada Help Needed Please!

Did you do it or someone else? I guess it really doesn't matter who but...is the light back on? I suspect the EGR again. I asked who did it because if you did it-and if the light is back on-scan or paperclip it. If you do have code 32-that's the issue again. I would pull it and while off(make sure all safe-all out of the way) start it and rev it probably to about 2000 RPMS four or five times to possibly clear out the port leading to the EGR and upon re-installation I personally would use a 'screened' EGR gasket. I know for fact a company called TOMCO makes one(screened gasket) among possibly others.) This will prevent a re-occurance of this issue. Make absolutely sure that the valve has no binding as you push if all the way in and out, if so more cleaning is required. Good luck-Merry Christmas! JP

Old 12-26-2008, 05:27 PM
NC93BLAZERLT is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: Peru Motors

Did you do it or someone else? I guess it really doesn't matter who but...is the light back on? I suspect the EGR again. I asked who did it because if you did it-and if the light is back on-scan or paperclip it. If you do have code 32-that's the issue again. I would pull it and while off(make sure all safe-all out of the way) start it and rev it probably to about 2000 RPMS four or five times to possibly clear out the port leading to the EGR and upon re-installation I personally would use a 'screened' EGR gasket. I know for fact a company called TOMCO makes one(screened gasket) among possibly others.) This will prevent a re-occurance of this issue. Make absolutely sure that the valve has no binding as you push if all the way in and out, if so more cleaning is required. Good luck-Merry Christmas! JP
Paper clipped I get 12, 32. I believe 12 is just an initial code. and yes, 32. Thanks, I will try this advice and see what gives. Thanks.
Could someone please tell me what kind of hassle it is to remove the EGR on these things? I own a blazer, but haven't had the need to buy the book for it yet! Thank God, but still, I hear it's a royal pain. Will I have to remove alot of components?

Old 12-26-2008, 08:40 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Was the EGR passage cleaned out during the previous cleaning (as JP asked)?

It is possible that the EGR valve itself is just faulty. It does happen from time to time. Mostly though, a good cleaning or two can cure the problem.

Old 12-26-2008, 10:26 PM
Leeann_Bravada is an unknown quantity at this point

You need a 9" or 10" extension, a 10 mm socket and a 10 mm wrench (preferably ratcheting, if you have it). Plus the new gasket. I recommend you either get the Tomco screened gasket or whatever brand NAPA sells that has the screen in it.

It's no fun, but it's not bad. Just time-consuming.

Especially clean where the pintle seats to the valve base - carbon tends to build up there and keep the pintle from seating properly.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:53 AM

I got underneath the hood of my Blazer today to have a look see, but couldn't even see the EGR valve! Is it between the firewall, and back of the motor?

Old 12-28-2008, 02:08 PM

It's at the front , under the throttle body, behind the AC compressor.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:41 AM

I'll look again today... I hope I don't have to take off any of this stuff. Changing valve cover gaskets was a nightmare on this one! lol Gasket maker all over the place!

Old 12-29-2008, 09:59 AM

I forgot to add: to the left of the thermostat housing. So just follow the upper radiator hose and it'll be to the left. You have to remove the air cleaner/intake hose assembly to see it and get to it. Be careful when you do so, since the IAT sensor plugs in to the bottom of that right in front of the throttle body.

Old 12-30-2008, 04:12 AM
Starting Member
bertrenolds has a little shameless behavior in the past

Did you take the sensor off the top of the intake to look in and see if the left side of the intake is extreamly clean compared to the right to see if it could be the fuel pressure regulator? EGR is right below the TB, you have to move a support bar to get at it as well as take the intake off the TB.

Old 12-30-2008, 03:43 PM

When I looked for the egr valve the first time around, I was looking for something with vacuum lines hooked to it! lol Anyhow, the job was cake! The idiots who chargedher alot of money to do it the first time, didn't even replace the gasket! In fact, there was two gaskets pancaked on top of each other! Both old. I got the new screened gasket, cleaned the EGR once again, and put it all back together. Tightened the left bolt first to keep the gasket in pace, then wrapped thread tape around the right bolt head to keep it in the swivel socket while I put it in... That helped alot! Anyhow, she purrs like a kitten now, and now I got practice for when I do mine next week! Thanx all!

Quick Reply: Olds Bravada Help Needed Please!