1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Be patient with the newbe

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 09:03 PM
topper911 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Be patient with the newbe

I've got a 91 s10 blazer, 4.3, 4x4. This is my first blazer, and first Chevy in a long time. I've pretty much rebuilt the front end (all the ball joint and bushings, and one axle), replaced the starter, replaced the pickup coil, ignition coil, distributor cap, and rotor button, had a crank case explosion (don't ask), then the distributor, tires, tailgate, and a few vacuum hoses. So, now that it's running fairly straight and fairly well, I've got a couple more issues.

The temp gauge has never worked. I've got a wire (that's been spliced a couple too many times) that connects to nothing, but causes the temp gauge to bounce when shorted to ground. I've got a place on the passenger side just above the exhaust header where it looks like a wire should go, but to say it's mangled would be an insult to mangleness. I assume that the two go together, but can't even get a wrench on the temp switch. I tried pliers, but can't really get in there. Any suggestions?

Just about the only thing i didn't replace on the front suspension was the pitman arm. Not for of lack of trying. I can't seem to find one that fits. I've done everything but carry the steering gear box to the part store. I've got it a lot tighter, but still just a little too much play in the wheel for me. Again, any suggestions?

Old 04-09-2013, 12:47 AM
Toby Hanson will become famous soon enough

If you can get that old, mangled temp sender out of the cylinder head then you can replace it and connect that wire up to the sensor and then the temp gauge on the dash should work. I've replaced them on some of my older rigs.

As far as getting it out, you might need to get a fluted extractor on there and try and get it out of the cylinder head.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:54 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

See if you an find a metric or standard socket that almost fits it, and bang it on with a hammer to remove it. Then replace the sender. Its like 15 bucks at the parts store.

As for the sloppy steering. Have someone wiggle the steering wheel while you look at the box. Is the input shaft turning lots without the pitman arm moving? If this is the case, you can adjust the slop in the box. Here is a video of essentially what you need to look for to tighten.

Last edited by ohsofly; 04-10-2013 at 11:57 PM.