1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Power window regulator help...

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 03:06 AM
Starting Member
degaine_designs is on a distinguished road
Default Power window regulator help...

My power windows pop when rolling them down. The passenger side is so bad that it ends up rolling down diagonally and gets stuck. My mechanic said the problem is most likely the window regulators. He said if I can do it myself it'd be worth it to do so. He suggested going to a junk yard and finding a pair.

The problem is, I have no idea what to do. I've never replaced them before. Is it difficult? Also, sometimes the switches don't work when trying to roll the windows up/ down. Any ideas what the problem may be?

Old 08-09-2009, 09:30 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It likely is not just the regulators, but a combination of the regulators and the window tracks (what holds the window side to side while the regulator pushes it up and down). The popping is likely the regulator skipping teeth, but from the sounds of it, that is because the window is getting jammed inside.

Working on the windows can be frustrating. I just redid the window regulator and tracks in my '74, but I have done a few in the past. My advice would be to get in there and see what you can see. Watch everything and try to determine where it is falling off first. All of the tracks should be solid and should not move so start with that. You will need to remove the door panels as a first step.

Old 08-09-2009, 02:43 PM
Starting Member

Thanks. I was afraid it wasn't going to be easy. Luckily I have a/c and it doesn't get hot in Jersey.

Old 08-09-2009, 03:21 PM
spanishpride75 is on a distinguished road
Default just did my window..

the regulator isnt that hard to replace, and as far as the switch not working, test the switch to be sure its the problem otherwise its the motor. i just got a motor for mine for $40 at autozone new so thats not bad either alil drilling and four screws later done.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:20 PM
Starting Member
91chevywt is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree that it will likely be the window tracks. As far as the window motors, I believe they go on most of these trucks, so that may explain them intermittently working. You can check the tracks by seeing if they move any by grabbing them and watching them as the window moves up and down. They should be solidly mounted. I had an issue with my driver's window, the window would roll up crookedly and make a popping noise like you described. The window track near the top of the door was loose. Aparently there should be a screw in there that fell out over time, allowing the window to rollup crookedly. One screw later and the window goes up/down like it should.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:37 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by 91chevywt
I agree that it will likely be the window tracks. As far as the window motors, I believe they go on most of these trucks, so that may explain them intermittently working. You can check the tracks by seeing if they move any by grabbing them and watching them as the window moves up and down. They should be solidly mounted. I had an issue with my driver's window, the window would roll up crookedly and make a popping noise like you described. The window track near the top of the door was loose. Aparently there should be a screw in there that fell out over time, allowing the window to rollup crookedly. One screw later and the window goes up/down like it should.
When you say the tracks, do you mean the actual groove the windows sit in or do you mean the plastic piece that attaches to the window and fits in the grooves in the door? I'm talking about that little triangular piece of plastic that attaches to a small hole in the window... because I know there is one of those on the passenger window that is definitely broken.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:44 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

By tracks we mean the channels that the window rides in at the front and back of the window frame. They extend down into the door and keep the window in the proper position for the regulator to do its job. If the window is cocking in the door, then I would suspect a bad track inside the door. The tracks should be nice and straight.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:05 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
By tracks we mean the channels that the window rides in at the front and back of the window frame. They extend down into the door and keep the window in the proper position for the regulator to do its job. If the window is cocking in the door, then I would suspect a bad track inside the door. The tracks should be nice and straight.
Ok, that's what I thought you meant. The window rolls down, pops, then the front starts dropping. Is it possible that the window is out off the track like this: http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2061336

Last edited by degaine_designs; 08-10-2009 at 12:58 AM.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:55 PM
Starting Member
91chevywt is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by degaine_designs
Ok, that's what I thought you meant. The window rolls down, pops, then the front starts dropping. Is it possible that the window is out off the track like this: http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2061336
Sort of...but if your window was out of the track it would probably not go up, or it would go up extremely crooked. I think your first step would be to get the door panel off, and check out the tracks and anything else you can see. It might work out if you snap a couple pictures of anything you may be concerned with. Also, if you window motor has ever been replaced make sure all the bolts/rivets are there holding the regulator solidly to the door.