1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Problems with a 93 Blazer with a Vortec

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 06:36 PM
ScottyG is on a distinguished road
Default Problems with a 93 Blazer with a Vortec

First things first:
93 S10 Tahoe, 4x4, automatic trans, Engine code W
210,000 miles

My blazer has been running rough for about two weeks. At first I thought it just needed some fuel injector cleaner, so I ran a couple cans of Seafoam and B12 through it, not at the same time. This helped only a little bit. I live at the top of the hill and it doesn't want to get me to the top. I can floor the accelerator and it will sluggishly crawl to the top. Each time I go up it I doubt I'll make it.

Yesterday I took it out and it barely had any power at all, I ended up being towed home. Tow truck driver said it was either the spark plugs (less than a year old) or the catalytic converter is clogged. I changed the spark plugs(one was really fouled), distributor cap and rotor button. This got me back some power, but it still sluggish going up hill.

Today, I noticed I barely had any exhaust coming from the tailpipe, I crawled under it again and found a large hole in the muffler where most of my exhaust is now flowing from. It's also loud as hell now. I have checked the fuel pressure and it has 60lbs with ignition on, 50lbs at idle, and between 50-60lbs when reved.

This is a daily driver and I really can't afford to have a pro fix it. Could my problem be simply a clogged and busted muffler? Earlier this evening I took it out and drove for about an hour. I got out and looked under it and part of the catalytic converter, toward the muffler, was glowing red. Sorry for the long post, just wanted to give as much detail as possible. Please help.

Old 02-07-2010, 06:40 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

sounds to me like your cat is really plugged. either replace or if you have to take it off, if its bad enough you're gonna have to replace your muffler too, which sounds like is in already pretty bad shape.
btw it is illegal to run with out a cat so if you notice a gain in your power returning after you take it off, your cat is the problem. im not saying run with it off, cause im not.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:09 PM

Thanks for the quick response. I guess I could save myself some money if I'd cut it off myself.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ScottyG
Thanks for the quick response. I guess I could save myself some money if I'd cut it off myself.
yes you could sawz all works great, keep in mind if your state has an emission test you will not pass. also like i said above it's illegal. but how many cops that have stopped you, check underneath for one?

Last edited by Spectreblazer; 02-07-2010 at 07:24 PM.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:19 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I am not sure how well the older CPI motors will run without the upstream O2 sensor, but you could try removing it from the vehicle and running it. It will be loud, but if your cat is clogged up, it should run better with an opening in the exhaust. If it doesn't run with the O2 sensor out and you know someone with a welder, drill a hole ahead of the cat.

Diagnose the problem before cutting anything. No sense in spending money if you don't have to.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:41 PM

Thanks guys. One thing I forgot to mention is that recently it doesn't want to start on the first try. It makes a "zzzzzzzzznnn" sound. Its not like how a bad starter clicks. Volts are fine, and I also changed the plug wires yesterday.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:50 PM

It's fixed. Got the cat and muffler cut off and a new exhaust system installed , but that still didn't restore my power. It was still missing so I took it to a shop I've used for years. One of the guys fixed it in 5 minutes and didn't even charge me. All he said was "A wire was crossed." It's running like a new one and it certainly isn't new. Now I think the starter is on its way out. Thanks for your help guys.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ScottyG
It's fixed. Got the cat and muffler cut off and a new exhaust system installed , but that still didn't restore my power. It was still missing so I took it to a shop I've used for years. One of the guys fixed it in 5 minutes and didn't even charge me. All he said was "A wire was crossed." It's running like a new one and it certainly isn't new. Now I think the starter is on its way out. Thanks for your help guys.
probably a distributor wire(the wire the mechanic switched). glad you got it fixed