1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Project '85 S15 Jimmy

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2023, 01:10 AM
Starting Member
WarPig is on a distinguished road
Default Project '85 S15 Jimmy

Hey folks,

First, a disclaimer: I have no idea WTF I'm doing. Most of my experience wrenching has not been on domestic vehicles.

Just picked up a 1985 S15 Jimmy. VIN and badges say 4x4, but the nonexistant front axles and transfer case beg to differ. Was driving along and saw it advertised on the side of the road. Made an impulse decision and drove it home same day with the wallet less than $1k lighter. My wife was out of town so there was nobody to stop me. No regrets... yet. First order of business was fixing a charging issue. Guy I bought it from thought it was the alternator. Rather than firing up the parts cannon, I poked around a little. Took me about 10 minutes to find a red wire melted onto the exhaust manifold. Small victory. 3 questions for some of my outstanding issues listed below.

#1 and most pressing. Drove it to work the next day to shake it down a little. Did great on the way there. On the way home drivetrain started making some noises. Decided to limp the 2 miles back home as the noises gradually got worse. Parked it and poked my head underneath to see the rear diff puking fluid. Haven't pulled the inspection cover yet, but I'm guessing it's grenaded. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the easiest course of action for a dumb *** like me will be to replace the entire rear end. Now my main question is... what am I looking for at the scrapyard? When the DAPO converted to 2WD is it likely he changed the diff? Should he have? From what I can tell it's a 7.5" (has the two fangs at 5:00 and 7:00 on the bottom of the pumpkin), but I can't find a tag with the gear ratio on it. I'm guessing I'll be hard pressed to get the anemic 2.8 V6 to eat another diff with proper maintenance, but would like my speedo to read correctly (once I replace the cable haha). This might be optimistic because I suspect that the trans was replaced with a T-5 when they deleted 1/2 of the 4WD. My other concern is that I read a post on another forum that the axles might be different lengths with 2 and 4WD. Bottom line, I'm trying to get this done and done right the first time.

#2 One of the quarter windows is smashed. Found glass locally, but having trouble finding a seal online. Do I just glue it in with window weld and this trim piece available from PRP? One vendor advertises a rope in seal, but I'm suspicious of it.

#3 The only key I was given operates only the driver door and ignition, not the rear hatch or passenger door. Did these trucks have valet keys? Just wanted to ask this before I start taking trim pieces off and inevitably break a bunch of plastic to get the inoperable locks out. The only locksmith in the area didn't know what a valet key is (see, I'm not the only idiot in this town).

Thanks for reading if you made it this far down my long first post.