1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

random idle issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 03:00 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

You may want to get that timing set spot on with a timing light. You are close, but not right on. My truck is spot on when I turn it counter clockwise all the way and then about 1/8 - 1/4 of the range back clockwise. You hook it up to the battery, and clip the pick up onto plug wire #1 (drivers front) and hold the trigger down while you point it past the fan at the crank pulley. You will see now when it flashes there is a mark that lines up beside a thing with teeth on it. Where is that line sitting? You have your timing degrees marked on the sticker on the bottom of the hood that will tell you your idle timing (says something like -15`BTDC --- Thats 15 degrees before top dead center). Timing is set with the truck idling in drive with the park brake firmly set and the wheels blocked so it cannot run you over while you are leaned over the radiator twisting the distributor. If its not where its supposed to be, then move your distributor like you were doing and you will see that little line move up and down the teeth on the timing marks. That my friend is how you set ignition timing. You can buy yourself a cheap timing light for about 10-20 bucks at some of the bargain tool shops, or borrow one to use from a friend or neighbor. It seems kind of tough till you do it, its actually quite simple and the next time you will set timing in seconds, and you can practice on your friends cars to get them better gas milage. Newer cars have distributorless igniton or coil-on-plug designs that are non adjustable, but older cars from the early 90s and before have adjustable timing.

I like to sandpaper the tangs on the inside of the distributor cap clean and the edge of the rotor and smear a film of dilectric grease on them before putting it all back together. I also put it on both ends of the spark plug wires cause it makes them pop off much easier next time. Actually, i use the dilectric grease on any connection thats electrical that I have undone... It also keeps water out.

Last edited by ohsofly; 04-20-2010 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:36 AM
Grif is on a distinguished road

May be a stupid question but where is the IAC valve located? Pictures are alot of help lol
sincerely this dunce
Thank you