1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Seat belt problem...

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 02:02 AM
Starting Member
degaine_designs is on a distinguished road
Default Seat belt problem...

The passenger side front seat belt in my '89 S15 Jimmy is stuck. I've tried pulling and it won't budge. How do you remove the plastic cover around the seat belt on the floor? If I could get it off I'd be able to see where the belt is stuck, but I can't remove it, it seems to be stuck in one spot. Are there any hidden bolts holding the cover on?

Old 07-31-2009, 11:40 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Typically there is a rivet holding the plastic on in the back side of the assembly. It can be a real pain to get off. I was removing the seat belts from a 90 Suburban and almost cut my finger off when the thing finally let go. There is sharp metal in there!

Old 08-01-2009, 01:25 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Typically there is a rivet holding the plastic on in the back side of the assembly. It can be a real pain to get off. I was removing the seat belts from a 90 Suburban and almost cut my finger off when the thing finally let go. There is sharp metal in there!
How would you suggest getting it off safely? I need my fingers as I draw for a living.

Old 08-01-2009, 12:38 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

There should be a plug that you can remove to get at the bolt that mounts everything to the floor.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:21 PM
Starting Member

I finally got around to replacing the belts. I got them used from eBay. I bolted them into the truck and went to test them and the lower belts move freely but the upper belts are locked up and won't budge. I moved the lock by lifting it and can pull the belt out while holding the lock but then it wont retract without getting stuck thus rendering the belts unusable. Any ideas on what is wrong?