1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Service Engine Soon (The Oh SH@* Light)

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 09:52 PM
Starting Member
elementalnature is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Service Engine Soon (The Oh SH@* Light)

So I was driving home from work this evening. The air is quite nice, not hot or humid and about 68-70 degrees. Then I cross through the stop lights and keep driving for about 500 yards and then my service engine soon light comes on. I drop the speed down to about 50 and low RPMs and it stays on till I get home. I turned the engine off and let it set for about 2 or three minutes and turned it back on. The light stayed off, I revved the engine to about 2-3 thousand (Best guess, there is no tachometer on the first gen analog) it stayed off. So I guess everything is okay but I am wanting second opinions. I have free time tomorrow so I'm going to drop by my advance auto parts store and get them to read some diagnostics and see whats up.

Just a sidenote: I was told on my specific vehicle that the fuel line goes bad about 130K. The truck sits at 120K as I speak and so I had friend check it out. He said everything looks okay and pressure is holding well. Also, yesterday the battery died and so I had to deep cycle it but this is the first time anything major has happened under my supervision. I take real good care of this truck and in a week I plan to change the oil over to Royal Purple. Probably going to do the rest with Royal Purple too. Axel, Transmission, so on and so forth. But that light scared me to death.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:17 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Service Engine Soon (The Oh SH@* Light)

Hate to say it, but if the light is not on, I doubt Advanced will be able to tell you much. Was there any other symptoms when the light came on?

Old 03-26-2008, 10:23 PM
Starting Member

Not really. Engine seemed fine, idled at a steady RPM. I believe it is false but that light scares me.
I stopped at a light, turned the music down and listened everything seemed okay. Now here is where I have to confess a little. As I was turning into a sharp curve I realized I was going at little too fast and slammed down on the brakes. The brake pedal vibrated so the ABS kicked in and I can swear that little Blazer did a little drift. Now that wasn't intended to happen but it did.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:33 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Don't think you have anything to worry about until it comes back again, then I would take it someplace and keep it running while they check the codes.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:38 PM
Starting Member

Any explanation for it? I mean, that vehicle leaned well into that turn. Fluids shift? Or anything? I'm not so worried about it now, I'm just afraid that something might had damaged something.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:32 AM
94blazer4.3ho is an unknown quantity at this point

i highly doubt that turn did any thing.
your codes should be stored, unless when the battery died they got erased. you could check the codes any way for fun.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:35 AM
c0a8l0v6i8n9 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would check the stored codes, when this happened to me I cleaned the EGR and I was set.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:02 AM
Administrator

My experience with OBD1 system scans by Autozone/Advance are that they cannot access stored codes on these systems. But that was quite a while ago...

Old 03-27-2008, 11:54 AM
c0a8l0v6i8n9 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

My experience with OBD1 system scans by Autozone/Advance are that they cannot access stored codes on these systems. But that was quite a while ago...

I do it all the time so I guess things have changed

Old 03-27-2008, 11:57 AM
Administrator

K. As I said, it was a few years ago so the scanners have obviously gotten better.

Quick Reply: Service Engine Soon (The Oh SH@* Light)