1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

shuddering

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 09:34 PM
Beginning Member
cherokee4 is on a distinguished road
Default shuddering

My 92 s-10 4x4 4.3 will run fine for about 5or 6 miles and then acts like it's running out of gas. Try to give it more eccelerator and it will die. Start it back up and it idles fine in park. Put it in gear to take off and starts shuddering and wont eccelerate. Fuel pump?? help guys .

Old 05-16-2011, 10:21 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

CPI or TBI? Vastly different fuel pressure requirements between the two. And the CPI engines are notorious for fuel system problems.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:09 AM
Toby Hanson will become famous soon enough

If you have the TBI (throttle body injection) then there's a good possibility that you have a bad coolant temperature sensor. In the GM TBI systems the coolant temperature sensor tells the computer how much fuel to spray. If the CTS has failed the truck will run rich enough to stall out when you try to accelerate.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:34 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks guys I'll check the sensors. Where is the temp sensors located on my engine.? Also I'm a dummy so what is the CTS stand for ?

Old 05-17-2011, 10:47 AM
Beginning Member

wow I meant CPI LOL

Old 05-17-2011, 11:29 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

TBI == Throttle Body Injection
CPI == Central Port Injection

If you have a round air cleaner on top of the motor, you have a TBI engine. If you have a large aluminum intake manifold with the throttle body sticking out the front pointing towards the radiator, you have a CPI engine.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:42 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks swartlkk , I have TBI LOL. Can you tell me where the temp sensors is located on my 92 4.3 ? and the Ign module also.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:01 PM
Administrator

According to the only reference I have access to while at work, the CTS is located right near the thermostat (follow the upper radiator hose from the radiator to the engine). The ESC (electronic spark control) module is located on the firewall behind and to the left of the distributor (looking at the engine from the front).

Old 05-17-2011, 07:43 PM
Beginning Member

thanks swartlkk . My son and I changed the CTS and no help. I drove it about 12 miles and same thing, shuddering and wouldnt take ecceleration . ;-( dont know .

Old 05-17-2011, 09:30 PM
Beginning Member

we have changed the CTS,FUEL FILTER, PLUGS AND WIRES, DIST. CAP ROTOR. ?? DONT KNOW WHATS NEXT. FUEL PUMP I GUESS.

Quick Reply: shuddering