1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

slick 50

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 01:10 AM
khalid_20879 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default slick 50

what do you guys think of slick 50 and do you of any problems using it

Old 01-01-2006, 05:23 AM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road
Default RE: slick 50

never tried the product. Are you thinking of using it? I think there's enough detergents in the oils out there today. only an opinion.

Old 01-01-2006, 01:44 PM
Whittaker is an unknown quantity at this point

From a Consumer Reports Article on ‘Slick 50’:

“The bottom line. We see little reason why anyone using one of today's high-quality motor oils would need these engine/oil treatments.â€

More HERE

Old 01-01-2006, 05:50 PM
Annekat91 is an unknown quantity at this point

My understanding was that Slick 50 has Teflon in it which supposedly protects the engine parts against excessive wear. I have an 84 Nissan pickup that I bought at 230,000 miles that had always had Slick 50 or the Wal Mart equivalent, and it didn't burn oil and still doesn't use much at 265,000. I haven't given it Slick 50 but have used oil filters that release Teflon. I don't drive it any more because it's such a beater and has other problems.

I haven't considered using Slick 50, or the Teflon oil filters, in my Blazer because the previous owners never did, and at 147,000, it needs little or no oil addition between changes.

Old 01-02-2006, 07:47 PM
blazingsadle is an unknown quantity at this point

See no need for any of this. Even the artificial oils have me wondering. They must really be great if they are better than regular motor oil. I just lost a 2.5 (you know the useless four banger chevy made) to a blown up engine, Started knocking at over 300,000 miles. (BTW, It didnt do this to me, I had passed it to my son) Never had anything used in it but fram filters and havoline 30 weight. Not even multiweight oil. Last 2.8 I had went 275,000 or so and it wasnt broke, pulled it and gave it away for someone else to use for parts. I took off the intake and heads to move it and looked inside. looked like a clean motor. Never anything but Fram and 30 weight Havoline.

I read many stories about which oil and filters are best, but I think it's a matter of actually changing it at the right time. I almost always change a filter EVERY time I change oil and always fill the filter. Even the sideways ones, yeah they spill a little. Do all my own work and have never had oil related problems since leaving castrol. (they were actually a sponsor at one time)Of course, the cars are operating under completely different conditions. One was heavy racing and the other IS driving around town and hiway.

One of the main things is rich running engines with fuel contamination of the oil. If you feel that any contamination is going on at all; change your oil more often till you find the reason for this problem Lean is dangerous immediately, but rich will kill your motor slowly.