1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

smoke from a/c control?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 11:53 AM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road
Default smoke from a/c control?

When I turn on the ac or heater smoke comes out of the control. Would this be the heater core causing the problem?

Old 06-02-2010, 12:34 AM

no one has a clue?

Old 06-02-2010, 05:54 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Does it smell?

The only thing that I have seen cause "smoke" is steam from a leaking heater core.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:33 AM

Yeah it has a burnt smell to it. I was thinking it would be the heater core but wanted to make sure before I go spending money.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:25 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Is your carpet wet on the passenger side of the transmission tunnel? If it is, then your problem is most likely your heater core.

If not, it could still be other things... Does it smell like burnt electronics?

Old 06-02-2010, 11:37 AM

I have never noticed the carpet wet on the passenger side. It kind of does smell like burnt electronics.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Does your blower motor work on all speeds? It could be early signs of a blower motor resistor pack that is going to let go. Or it could have gotten something onto it that is now burning off.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:21 PM
bartele is on a distinguished road

The heater core should not be causing any burning smells, the worst you could get would be plastic that fell in there perhaps melting off..

The smoke actually comes out of the control unit, NOT the vents?

I would second swartlkk's opinion that its a resistor pack.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:00 PM

Yes, it comes out of the control unit and it smokes no matter if i put it on a/c, heater, or vent. I'm thinking it could be that because when I adjust the speed from low-high it feels the same. If it is the resistor pack is this all I need?
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...2627&ppt=C0039
and is it very hard to replace?

Old 06-02-2010, 01:32 PM
bartele is on a distinguished road

There are a few options .. Looking on autozone's part lists..

I would pull the control section out, and see what smells, it may just be the fan switch apparently.

The main blower motor control would most likely be by the motor itself (sorry i havn't done anything with this on my blazer, but I had one go out on a 93 taurus a while back .. )

Quick Reply: smoke from a/c control?