1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

smoke from a/c control?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 06:01 PM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

I was thinking it would be near the blower motor which is on the passenger side of the engine bay. But wasn't for sure. How would I know if the fan switch was bad?

Old 06-02-2010, 07:00 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If your fan works on all speeds, the resistor pack is likely good.

From your original post, I misinterpreted your use of 'control' and thought it was coming out of the actual vents. If it is coming out of the control module itself, you can pin point the location of the escaping smoke with the control module removed, but still connected. You may be able to clean everything up with some electrical parts cleaner and be good to go. If that doesn't work, then replacement is the next option.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:45 PM

Ok, thanks I'll have to look into it.
The fan works on all speeds but I don't feel any difference at all between the speeds does that mean the resistor pack is bad?

Last edited by 84BlazerS10; 06-02-2010 at 10:53 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:56 PM
bartele is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 84BlazerS10
Ok, thanks I'll have to look into it.
The fan works on all speeds but I don't feel any difference at all between the speeds does that mean the resistor pack is bad?
That would make sense.. Again there are at least two, smoke coming from the switch area makes me suspect the switch itself. Take it out and see if there are signs of it melting or smoke coming from it (smells strong) .. OR just observe it in action (pull it out and see 100% if thats where the smoke is coming from.

Good luck!

Old 06-03-2010, 12:12 AM

Thanks, I'll prob tear it apart tomorrow and take a look.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:17 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Typically, when the resistor pack goes bad, you will lose certain fan speeds. HI is direct, but the lower speeds go through the resistor pack. So if all of the speeds work, but there is no difference in output/sound, then the fan switch in the control module is the likely cause.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:34 AM
Beginning Member
daddytech is on a distinguished road

the heater core wouldn't be smoking and the only way the resistor pack would be is if you had it on heat and it wouldn't smell like burned wires it would smell like burning dust or maybe plastic in extreeme cases. more than likely it's the switches since the fan speeds don't change no matter what you have it on (same thing went wrong with my wife's suburban) you should be able to replace just the switches and everything be fine again but i would pull it out and see what wires are burned before replacing the switch panel.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:44 AM
Administrator

A resistor pack can definitely smell like burning electronics. I've replaced them on newer models where they smelled horrible just like fried electronics and not just on heat. The older ones though, I would tend to agree given that they are just loops of bare wire.

Next step - remove the control module.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:28 AM
Beginning Member
4pt9fiero is on a distinguished road

The fan controller on my 92 S10 went bad and cause the wires leading to it to partially melt. Not only did I have the smell from the wire insulation, the top of the dash above the switch would get very warm. I bought a new switch at the parts house for ~$15 and it fixed the problem.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:51 PM

you talking about the resistor pack, If so where is it located exactly?

Quick Reply: smoke from a/c control?