1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Starter works intermittently

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 05:58 PM
Beginning Member
azaviator is on a distinguished road
Default Starter works intermittently

Sometimes when I turn the key, the starter clicks but doesn't turn. Other times it works just fine. It seems to do it more often when the Blazer is cold, but the outside temp is warm (like when it sits in the sun). I have looked through a few previous threads on the starter and I think I have come to the conclusion that the solenoid is probably bad. I'm just hoping to get a second opinion from someone a bit more familiar with this type of problem. I have checked the connection at the battery and both cables/connections are solid. Wasn't able to check at the starter solenoid because it was just driven. I will try to check that later this evening.

Could it be something a bit cheaper than a $100 starter? I'm hard up for cash at the moment, but need this vehicle running for the kids >.

If the solenoid is bad, is it possible to just replace it instead of the entire starter assembly? Or would it be better to just replace the starter/solenoid with one from the Zone with a lifetime warranty?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Old 04-07-2010, 07:52 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

Check the connections at the starter. If at all possible take them off and clean them.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:04 PM
Beginning Member
azaviator is on a distinguished road
Default Thank You!!

Originally Posted by abig84
Check the connections at the starter. If at all possible take them off and clean them.
I got underneath my Blazer today and had a look at things. Turns out, if you want to remove the starter on this thing you have to remove the front driveshaft just to get to one of the bolts that has to come off to remove the starter shield (flywheel cover?) so that you can get the starter off. Sounds like a lot of work!
So, I decided to get a look at things from a different angle. I saw some light coming from through the wheel well when I was underneath it so I got up and got a closer look. There was just enough room to get a wrench in there, so I checked the connections. One was not loose, but not tight either - Tightened. The other connection that I could see was impossible to get the wrench onto so (after about 20 minutes) I gave up on it.
Reconnected the battery and threw out a bit of hope as I turned the key. It worked! Tried about 10 times, and each start was good. So far, this seems to have saved me a starter. I LOVE FREE FIXES!!! If I was able to get the starter off, I had planned to replace it. Good thing I'm too lazy to take the damn thing apart!!
Thank you abig84 for backing up what I thought (hoped) might work. Must have been the 'intermittent' that gave it away?!?