1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Stuck Axle Nut

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 04:13 PM
Bojib is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Stuck Axle Nut

Alright.... I hope someone can give me good advice on this one.

How can you get a stuck axle nut off, one that just won't budge.

I've broke more tools than it's worth on this thing.

I don't have a way to get it to a garage, or get air tools to it, so hopefully we can skip those options.

So far I have broken to 3/4" drive sockets. I'm almost proud of the fact, it makes me feel like I got some hidden muscles somewhere.

I've also broken two 1/2" drive breaker bars. The end that goes in the socket just sheers off of them.

The last thing I broke was a 3/4" to 1/2" adapter, one of the good high grade impact style ones, the end just sheered off on it as well.

So far I've tried just straight up brute force. Tapping on the axle nut with a hammer and piece of metal, hoping to break it loose. Letting it soak for days at a time with penetrating oil. Heating the nut. Heating the nut then covering it in penetrating oil, hoping it would thin the oil a little more and let it penetrate better, then letting that soak.

Now I'm pretty sure I could keep on breaking sockets and tools, with no better results. I'm just glad I've had the since to buy lifetime warrantied tools, so I'm really not out any money so far.

Des anyone know any good ideas that could help me out, so that I can get this thing on off???

[:@][][&:]

Old 03-28-2008, 05:56 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough
Default RE: Stuck Axle Nut

Sounds like you've done everything I would try to do. I know you don't have access to air tools, but what about trying and electric impact gun?

Old 03-28-2008, 06:07 PM
Dturner14 is an unknown quantity at this point

May I ask why you cant take it anywhere? I had the same thing happen on my passenger side and I broke I dont know how many tools and tried all the same. I ended up having to take it to a garage and have them use a high impact air gun and they still had problems. But it came off and had them just tighten it to where I could drive it home and take it off myself.

Old 03-28-2008, 06:58 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Man, I have to ask one question... What is it that you are using as far as tools?... With all of the stuff I have ever worked on I must say that I have only broken two 1/2" breaker bars and they were already well worn before they broke.

What were you using to heat the nut? An actual oxy/acet torch with a heating tip or just a propane plumbers torch?

Old 03-28-2008, 07:04 PM
Dturner14 is an unknown quantity at this point

I use craftsman, and I broke muti braker bars, even had to got one off a buddy and he told me there was no way it was braking I believe a 3/4 and impact socket. well I had to turn his in for a new one when I exchanged mine. lol. That why I was wondering is there something preventing you from driving it to a garage? the $20 I paid (Tip) was well worth the hassle for him to deal with it.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:33 PM
Bojib is an unknown quantity at this point

One reason I can't take it anywhere, is that I've just to where I don't trust any garage to do it.

The other is, I recently had it at a garage, just having the tires balanced and rotated. Some kid was putting the front passenger tire back on. He was air gun happy, and an idiot to boot.

I don't know how he did it, but he wound up stripping three of the lug studs/nuts on it. Two of them are completely stripped. One of them, a nut will go on it, but won't really tighten up.

I only live a couple miles from the garage that was working on it. The guy that owns the place went ahead and put the two good lug nuts back on, and got the one half good one on pretty tight, and I limped the Blazer back home.

They said they would change everything out at no charge to me. I don't trust a bunch that can't even put a tires back on a vehicle to work on anything else. So, they just bought me a replacement bearing/hub assembly.

I suppose I could have it towed to a decent garage, if I could find one, and let them do it.

I really don't have the money for it right now. I only live a hair above poverty here, and can't really afford much. If it wasn't for good cheap internet, I wouldn't be even talking to you all right now on here.

Just one of those situations where I spend most of my evening sittin in the dark, with pretty much all the lights off. In debt to my eyeballs. The sad part of living in really rural America. I had a good paying job once about a year and a half ago, got laid off, drawed unemployment out, and have only been at my new job a few months. Still working on getting on my feet again.

So if I can do anything on my own at all, and save a few bucks, I will.

The tools I use are mostly good tools, not cheap flea market stuff or anything. They were bought at either Advance Auto, Carquest, or Sears. Pretty much everything I've broken has a lifetime warranty on it, and getting replacements hasn't been any trouble. I work in a Jail now, and it pays off from time to time to work out and stuff, and be a little more muscular than the other guys. I'm not a guard or anything, just a bondsman, so I have minimal contact with the inmates, but you still run into some pretty rough people from time to time.

Old 03-29-2008, 11:33 AM
Sunshine Coaster is an unknown quantity at this point

When you apply the heat the best thing is oxy-act. with a small tip. Try it in 2 stages..heat the whole thing up then try and quickly cool the nut only, this will squeeze it onto the shaft and hopefully stretch the nut a bit and also break any rust bond. When the whole thing cools try just heating the nut quickly and wrench it before the heat sinks into the shaft. Any chance of cutting it off with a Dremel? You need to take care not to nick the threads..if you can cut it down to just before the threads you can then take a cold chisel and break the rest of it. By the sounds of all the horse power you've put into it so far it seems that it's picked up on the threads and if that's so...it'll never come off, it might move a bit but the threads will gaul up inside the nut and then you're toast. I don't know how much room you have to access the nut but the other idea would be to use a nut splitter, any good rental shop should carry them. Good luck...been where you are now and it's not fun.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:41 AM
Zed
Zed is an unknown quantity at this point

Ever thought about going to a Rental Shop and renting a small compressor and air gun , you might have to buy the socket though or buy a big breaker bar ?
And , soak it with penetrating oil and let it sit over night and then try it ..

Zed