1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

thermostat??

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 01:11 PM
94blueknight is on a distinguished road
Default thermostat??

ok so the past couple of days when i start up my blazer and go a lil bit after it reaches running temp (210)the tempstarts to climb up more to about a needle width or 2 above 210. when this happend last time back at 101K mi i checked it out and i noticed the head gasket leaking so i replaced it and also the thermostat. i am now at 133K mi and its happening again but i check and i do not see any leaks from the head gasket. not sure if this is something i should worry about or not anyone have any ideas?

Old 03-10-2008, 01:19 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: thermostat??

Is the coolant level good? When did you last flush and fill the system?

Old 03-10-2008, 01:39 PM

i'm pretty sure my coolant level is good although i havent checked it recently but i will. and i dont rem if i flushed the system when i did the thermostat last or not.

EDIT: i forgot to add that after it goes above 210 that it only stays there for at most a min and then drops down to a needle width below 210 then shortly after that returns to 210.

Old 03-10-2008, 04:03 PM
Starting Member
YepIOwnA97Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

thats exactly what mine does except after it gets right above 210 it falls down to about 190 which is operating temp

Old 03-10-2008, 04:08 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Eh...At 6 bucks or whatever those suckers run, just throw a new one in there..see what happens!

Old 03-10-2008, 04:18 PM
c0a8l0v6i8n9 is an unknown quantity at this point

yea all its made out of is metal and some wax maybe the wax went bad?? if thats even possible, replace it better off to start troubleshooting the cheap stuff

Old 03-10-2008, 08:49 PM
eddiegreeny is an unknown quantity at this point

now see i replaced a radiotor water pump and thermo. when its below 30 outside my temp is 110 and when it warm above 30 i run a regular temp, the guys at the auto parts stores are stumped. anyone ever had this happen to them

Old 03-10-2008, 11:20 PM

ok so i checked the fluid level today after school and yes it was low so when i got to work i refilled it. i'll see what that does tomorrow when i drive around. hopefully it fixes it cuz last time i rem the theromstat bein a pain in the rear to replace (coulda just been cuz i was doin the head gasket also at the same time)

Old 03-11-2008, 08:03 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Replace the thermostat again and see. Its an $8 part and maybe a half hour worth of time. Parts can be bad right out of the package.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:30 AM

ya this is true. my dad is a mechanic and he was tellin me that u used to never have to replace the thermostat b4 but then they started having to every so often and now its gotten down to where the thermostat is something common that goes often. just goes to show how cheap engineers of today design some stuff. when i become an engineer i wont let this happen to what ever i may be designing

also the new coolant has helped so far. it only went slightly above 210 on the way in to school this morn. i'll see how it drives the rest of today. if it goes above 210 pretty good like i was sayin b4 then ya i'll replace the thermostat.

Quick Reply: thermostat??