1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Thunk while turning

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 10:49 PM
drummerdude is on a distinguished road
Default Thunk while turning

I have a problem that just developed over the weeked. When I make a hard left turn while on the gas, I get a thunking noise. More specifically, when I'm turning from one road onto another side road that has a slight dip going onto it. I am thinking something in the suspension but dont know where to start or where to look. Cannot tell front or back. Applying the brakes does not make a difference, but it only happens when you are on the gas. Coasting it does not happen. It will not do it on a flat smooth parking lot ( trust me I tried).

To myself and my dad is sounds like something is worn, and then turning / accelerating, therefore apply pressure to the part, it is forced to slide into this position with a THUNK. I hope someone has had this issue and knows how to fix it.

I have been able to replicate this numerous times going around the block near my house.

I forgot to add, its a 94 s10 blazer, 4x4 4 door

Last edited by drummerdude; 05-06-2010 at 11:01 PM.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:49 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Time to give yourself a front end check. Jack up one side about 2 inches off the ground and have someone else kneel down beside the wheel while you lay down with a light behind the wheel. Have them grab the tire at 12 and 6 oclock and move back and forth hard... You are looking at the bottom and top balljoints for any movement at all. The balljoints are the round things that your steering knuckle rotates on. Then have them grab the tire at 9 and 3 oclock and shake back and forth... You are looking at the steering assembly for any play in the connections along the steering linkage. Now jam a pry bar under the tire and pry it upwards (simulate a load on the suspension) and watch for up and down movement in the balljoints. Have a good look and feel around for loose parts or missing bolts, grab stuff and shake it around. Anything that moves or feels loose needs to be adressed, you dont want a balljoint separating on you.

"When I make a hard left turn while on the gas, I get a thunking noise."

My guess is your balljoints on the outside edge of your turn. (Right turn clunk = Left lower balljoint) They like to clunk when they are going out and there is not as much stress on the uppers thats why the bottoms are much larger. Also, its the right lowers that wear out the most, because its a fact that 99% of people turn harder to the left that they do the right....

They are not that bad to do on your 4x4. (2WD are pressed in and much more work) You would need basic tools and possibly a hammer and chisel (or grinder) to remove the factory rivets that hole the balljoints on. You may luck out and fine they are already replaced in which case you can undo the bolts to get them off. Just read up before you go loosening a balljoint and make sure you have a jack holding the tortion bar tension when you pop the balljoint or you can be in a world of hurt.

You can find alot of information on how to change this in the forums if you search for it. A front end shops going to want 1000 bucks to redo your front end, you can do it COMPLETELY yourself for about 200 and a day or two of work. Balljoints for these trucks are about 20-30ea bucks and steeting components are about the same for each peice. I did all 4 balljoints and the whole steering assembly linkages on my kid brothers 2001 S10 2WD truck for about 250 in parts, drives like it was just off the showroom floor again now.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:25 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Don't rule out the sway bar end links. They are quite common. Not too expensive and quite easy to replace as well. This sounds like this could be the problem considering that it sounds like you are getting more body roll when you turn as well.

Old 05-07-2010, 07:34 AM
Outsydr is an unknown quantity at this point

One more thing to check while your at it, 1st gens were notorious for the front cab body mounts rusting away from the floorboards underneath my 94 would clunk in a similar situation until I fixed that, do not by any means rule out front end components check those first those are very common issues and it is wise to keep an eye on them but do not overlook the bodymount either.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:36 PM

Havent gotten a chance to crawl under yet. I do have an idler arm, but havent replaced it yet, hopefully later this week. Been keeping it close to home, the clunking does appear to be getting worse, it now does it sometimes when I just hit a decent sixed bump in the road. I will keep everyone posted with what I find, or dont find.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:50 PM
NC93BLAZERLT is an unknown quantity at this point

Check your control arm bushings. You will be able to tell they're bad by just looking at them.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:52 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely let us know. It'll help others out in the future if they have a similar problem!

Old 05-11-2010, 04:00 PM
Starting Member
bill byron is on a distinguished road

i had the same noise it drove me crazy i found the stablazer bushing were put in wrong smokey

Old 05-12-2010, 01:54 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

ummm..........how about the most obvious-t-bar mounts!

i was alway replacing them on my 1st gen's (still am on my '98)

the noise should sound/feel like it's coming from under your knees/*** area.

Old 05-16-2010, 05:19 PM

Turns out this was the problem. The bushings on both sides were gone and the crossmember was hitting when turning. Couldnt find it on the ground, but once I got it up on a lift it was a simple fix. While it was up I also replaced the idler arm which needed to be replaced anyway.

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
ummm..........how about the most obvious-t-bar mounts!

i was alway replacing them on my 1st gen's (still am on my '98)

the noise should sound/feel like it's coming from under your knees/*** area.

Quick Reply: Thunk while turning