1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

is it time to drop the tank?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 12:28 PM
Beginning Member
gomfrddy is on a distinguished road
Default is it time to drop the tank?

been having an intermitent fuel problem....last time it died the fp relays where real hot and I replaced them....but to no avail.....still no buzzing from the fuel pump and no start.....is ther anything else it could be before I drop the fuel tank?

Old 11-18-2010, 12:31 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Pulling the electrical connection at the tank and verify power and ground would be high on my list.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:47 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Pulling the electrical connection at the tank and verify power and ground would be high on my list.

where exactly is that?

Old 11-18-2010, 05:52 PM
94BlazerPA is on a distinguished road

the connector and ground is on the frame rail directly behind the tank before rear bumper. lay on your back and feel along the top of the frame rail, there almost dead center like behind the license plate.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:46 PM
Beginning Member
shawncullen is on a distinguished road
Wink been there done that

even if the fuel pump is bad
its a easy job no worries
just hope your tank is close to empty
and if you do the fuel pump (round 70 or 80 bucks at advance)
might as well hit the fuel filter as well (10 or 12 bucks advance)

Old 11-19-2010, 06:21 AM
Beginning Member
Default Update!!!!

I checked the relay connections and one was not seting right....so the pump buzzes now but te engine won't start....checked spark, got spark....sprayed fuel into the intake and no fire WTF????????

Old 11-19-2010, 06:30 AM
94BlazerPA is on a distinguished road

It wont even run with starting fluid? Just because your pump is buzzing, doesnt mean its working 100%. Pump could be on its last leg.

You need to get a fuel pressure gauge and tell us what pressure your getting at Key ON, not started and if the pressure holds after you turn the key Off.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:05 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, what are you working on here? Year? TBI (Vin Z) or CPI (Vin W)? Both have different fuel pressure requirements.

You could have a problem with spark timing or you could have too much fuel caused by a fuel leak inside the engine (if CPI).

Old 11-19-2010, 07:27 AM
Beginning Member
godfatheritalio is on a distinguished road

1986 S10 Blazer 2.8l 4x4

When my fuel pump went my tank and straps were so rusted i put the back seat down and lift up the carpet, and took an air hammer creating a door like rectangle and pulled the pump that way. and when i finished i tac welded the door i created shut i took safe precautions using a fire blanket and all neccessary tools to complete this job.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:51 AM
Administrator

Ok. Is that TBI or carb'd? I know my old '85 S10 2.8L was carb'd and that was a ROYAL pain to get running correctly.

Quick Reply: is it time to drop the tank?