1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Transfer Case

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 07:01 PM
mallardman51 is on a distinguished road
Default Transfer Case

Last week I had a bad vibration and roaring noise. I read some posts on here and determined that it was a front wheel bearing. I replaced those this weekent and now the noise and vibration are gone. While I did this I decided to change the fluid in the transfer case. Now today the 4wd does not work. Does the fluid in the transfer case work the same as in a tranny where not enough and it doesn't work?

Old 01-31-2011, 08:04 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

no the transfercase are controlled by manual linkages or levers. some may have a electric motor on the push button models but that just turns the lever instead of having the lever inside the cab like the older ones.

for example. i blew out my transfercase about a month ago. i pulled one out from under my parts bench that has been sitting for about 7 years with no fluid in it and i was able to shift through all the gears no problem before i installed it. but i guess i can see maybe if it was empty empty and you drove it for while maybe destroying or seizing parts

Old 01-31-2011, 10:25 PM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

Couple of suggestions. Hope you didn't (but have to ask) put 85W-90 gear oil in it because it takes Dexron ATF. There is an oil pump in the T-case. It likes light fluid not sludge. Also check to see if you didn't accidentally knock a vacuum line off the switch on top of the case. Could be something as simple as that. That's the first things I would check. Also did you remove the cable from the front housing?

Old 02-01-2011, 07:41 AM

I used Dexron II which is called out. I just drove it around my drive way to make sure everything was working. The truck drives and steers better than it has in a while so I am sure the bearing went in right. I just wasn't certain if I didn't put something in wrong or if it could be the transfer case. I really don't want to take apart the hubs again.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:24 AM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

Is it broke or not?

Old 02-01-2011, 08:26 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Fullsize or S-series?

If fullsize, manual or automatic hubs?
If S-series, manual or electric shift?

Does the transfer case engage properly (can you spin the front driveshaft when in 4HI or 4LO)?

Old 02-01-2011, 05:58 PM

Full size, manual hubs. I realize that I should have posted this under the K5 section, but I am a new member on here. Still not having any luck with the blazer today. Not sure what to do next. Yes it engages fine and you can't spin the front drive shaft when engaged

Last edited by mallardman51; 02-01-2011 at 06:01 PM. Reason: add something
Old 02-01-2011, 06:01 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

With the transfer case in 2HI, when you lock the manual hubs, can you still spin the front driveshaft? If you can, then the hubs are not locking in.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:39 PM

Is there a certain position that the manual hub cover needs to be put back on? I made sure everything went back to it's original postion after replacing the bearings but I didn't think the position of the cover made a difference.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:04 PM
Starting Member
burning_soul07 is on a distinguished road

No, the hubs just line up with the splines and the wheel studs, they can go on any way they line up.