1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

transmission fluid pan pains

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 06:26 PM
Campesino is an unknown quantity at this point
Default transmission fluid pan pains

Howdy all. I'm working on changing out my transmission fluid/filter but i've hit a bit of a snag in the process. I was able to get all of the bolts off of the pan and it is now able to move around. the problem is i can only drop move the front portion down about an inch(it hits the exhaust), and the rear portion won't move up or down at all because there is a lip in a part of the frame holding it in place. I've got the manual in front of me and it makes no mention of these things being a problem. I looked around the forums and couldn't see any posts mentioning this. Is there something obvious that i'm missing?

92 s-10 blazer 4.3L TBI 2wd Automatic

Old 12-30-2008, 06:36 PM
daroach1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: transmission fluid pan pains

I feel yor pain. Have done tranny services on 91 and 94. Both are like that. Do you have thetranny supportoff? And the back of the tranny lifted up slightly. You should be able to pop out the filter into the pan and this would make removal easier. Although, installation may require yuo to drop the exhaust for a easy fit. I know I spent a fair amount of time trying tons of different angles for removal.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:44 PM

Thanks for the quick reply, I've got my laptop with me in the garage with the truck right in front of me. I havn't taken off the support yet, but its looking like thats only way to get that pan off. I'll give that the junior college try and see where it lands me. Will update later with results, Thanks again.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:15 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, welcome to the wonderful task of 1st gen transmission service. You have to remove the transmission cross member to get the pan off. Oh what fun that is! My old 85 S10 pickup was that way too.

Old 12-31-2008, 02:01 PM

w00t! Thanks for the help yall. After i got a jack under the transmission and raised it a little ways the pan slid out without much hassle. After that i just had to replace an O-ring around the speed sensor and at this point everything is looking fine and dandy, so i'll be taking her out for the "victory drive" a here shortly. Once again, thanks a ton for the help, have an awesome new year fellas.