Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Changing trans fluid and installing deep pan

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 01:38 AM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road
Default Changing trans fluid and installing deep pan

Hey everyone. I am either having the transmission fluid changed or doing it myself within the next week. We ordered a deep pan (eBay item #110611844409) and I got a deep pan filter kit from Advance Auto (I exchanged the shallow pan filter I bought a couple weeks ago). Now for my questions:

1. Is this the correct pan for this truck? The eBay vehicle selector says no for the Blazer and Jimmy, but yes for the S10 and Sonoma. Aren't the pans the same since they are all 4L60E transmissions?

2. Does the deep pan require any modification to the crossmember or the transmission itself or is it just bolt on like the original pan?

3. Is replacing the seal really necessary when I change the filter? If I don't try to do it and destroy the seal, could I reuse the old one and install the new filter in there?

4. Advance Auto gave me a filter kit that was in a crushed box and they refused to give me one that was in a good box. They basically told me "Bring it back if you have problems" after checking it themselves. It had the filter, gasket and o-ring in it. What kind of damage should I be looking for on this filter? I see some dust on the metal part. Should I go to a different store and exchange it again anyway?

5. I was thinking of using Valvoline MAXLIFE DEX/MERC, which says it fits the specs for DEXRON III and VI. Good choice or should I use DEXRON VI as per the 2007 GM TSB? Should I just get 2 4qt jugs (5 qt standard pan fill + 2 more qts for the deep pan + 1 extra for the transmission cooler)?

6. How much Lucas Transmission Fix should I put in since I already have it in this current fluid? 1/2? 3/4? It doesn't slip, but I need all the preventative maintenance I can do because this truck sees alot of heavy loads, hills, high speed driving and snow.

Thanks for the advice.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:03 AM
bigdaddykane93 is on a distinguished road

You do not have to replace the filter seal as long as you dont tear it when you take the old filter out. run your finger inside it and make sure it feels smooth.

Return the filter kit and buy it else where. i bought one at advance and it to was dusty and had a crushed box...

Use what ever fliud the manual recommends....

Use 1 full bottle of lucas after the fliud change...

Old 01-11-2011, 10:27 PM

1. Great. Not having to actually replace the seal helps. When the snow is cleared, I will get the fluid and do it myself.

2. I will go to a different Advance and return it and buy one from Autozone.

3. Manual says DEXRON III, but GM released a TSB in 2007 that said to use DEXRON VI. Since Valvoline MAXLIFE covers both, I will use that.

4. Ok. Full bottle it is then.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:26 PM
Starting Member
answeredge22 is on a distinguished road

1. the pan will fit the transmission fine, without clearance issues. I had a hughes pan on my truck and switched it to my camaro trans (also a 4l60e) without issue. Also,that ebay part fitment guide is created by the person creating the listing, so you can't even really trust that unless it's summit racing's ebay page

2. How much did you pay for that filter kit? if you want to save some money, go to rockauto.com, i got a filter kit there last week for $9 with priority shipping. they offer the deep pan filters too

Old 01-12-2011, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by answeredge22
1. the pan will fit the transmission fine, without clearance issues. I had a hughes pan on my truck and switched it to my camaro trans (also a 4l60e) without issue. Also,that ebay part fitment guide is created by the person creating the listing, so you can't even really trust that unless it's summit racing's ebay page

2. How much did you pay for that filter kit? if you want to save some money, go to rockauto.com, i got a filter kit there last week for $9 with priority shipping. they offer the deep pan filters too

1. Great. Thanks for the tip. It is a Dorman pan. However I just discovered there is no magnet. Should I get one?

2. $15.

Rockauto is great if I am ordering alot of parts, but for just one part the shipping is expensive. The part plus shipping would be more than the name brand auto part store filter in the end. I bought most of the tuneup and other maintenance parts from them at a substantial discount compared to auto part store and dealer prices (also ordered items that came from a single warehouse to save on shipping), but other parts that would have come from a different warehouse (plug wires) I bought in the store for $5 more. Better than $20 more for shipping.

I also didn't want to buy the filter from them this time because I am going back to college next week and it is just easier to get everything this week in the store and do it at my convenience (instead of ordering and using fast shipping). There are 5 auto part stores within a 15-20 minute drive from where I live and I can get it while I am out for other stuff. I have to get the fluids from the local Autozone, so I might as well get another filter then. I will return the other filter to another Advance Auto afterward and tell them the entire story about the other store and the crushed box and telling me to bring it back if I have a problem with it. I do not know what kind of damage that filter might have internally and I am not going to use a filter with unknown damage and dust on it in my transmission.

Unless of course they would be willing to pay for a new transmission, any related damage, towing and a rental car if the filter in the crushed box causes destruction of my transmission. It has 98k miles and is still pretty strong and I want it to stay that way. Since there is no such guarantee, I am not using a filter in a crushed box and dust all over it.

4 things are keeping my trans going alot longer: Lucas, deep pan, trans cooler, frequent fluid changes. But all 4 mean nothing if the filter damages it.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:35 AM
Starting Member
answeredge22 is on a distinguished road

well if time's an issue then definitly go for the store part. the multiple warehouse shipping from rockauto does make it rather expensive, but it has saved me quite a few dollars. Im building a 3800 v6 for my camaro, and last week i had placed an order for a part that intense-racing.com wanted 53 for, here i got the part for 16, along with a bunch of other stuff off of rockauto. it really depends sometimes.

that must be nice having that many parts stores so close, the nearest one for me is a pepboys thats like 30min from my place, but they have a speed shop so its all good

as far as a magnet, dont worry about it. If the pan has a plug that already comes with a magnet then that just makes the whole thing easier. Instead of having to take the pan off to inspect the floor of it for shavings and other abnormalities, the magnet just holds them all on it, really does save some time though

Old 01-12-2011, 11:48 PM

Yea Rock Auto is great and cheap, but the shipping can be a problem sometimes. Large orders of parts for a project, I order. But if I need a single part right away, I go to a store.

With the number of close auto parts stores: I live in a rural area, but there are larger populated areas around that have auto parts stores around. Where I go to college (even smaller rural area), there are 3 auto parts stores within 1-2 thousand feet of each other (2 of them are almost directly across the street from each other) and 5 or more repair shops within a few miles of each other.

I will have to make sure the plug is magnetized then. Don't need metal particles floating in the fluid.

Old 01-16-2011, 03:41 AM

I am not sure if the plug has a magnet, I will have to double check. However, is it possible to put a rare earth or ceramic magnet on the bottom of the pan on the OUTSIDE after the mechanic does the fluid change? Will it work that way (Probably safer also?)? What about on engine oil filters? Will it be good for the trans and engine keeping all the magnetic particles at bay?

EDIT: What about getting a 5 pack of 1" square magnets from Radioshack or salvaging them from an old hard drive and putting them on the outside of the pan in different places (bottom and side) to ensure that more metal is caught to prolong trans life?

Last edited by ComputerNerdBD; 01-16-2011 at 03:48 AM.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:23 PM

I checked the new pan. The plug is NOT magnetized. I am going to try to get a magnetic plug tomorrow before I drop the truck off in the morning. I'll have to ask them to help pick out the size since I am not sure if it is 1/2", M12 or M14. Not going to risk putting a magnet on the outside of the pan and have it fall off, releasing all the particles into the oil at once. I want this trans to last a long time and I especially don't want to make a mistake that damages it.

EDIT: It seems that the threads are 1/2" (1/2" socket fits over it) and the head is 3/4" (16mm and 5/8" won't fit over it and I don't have a 3/4" socket).

Last edited by ComputerNerdBD; 01-16-2011 at 11:24 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:25 PM

Everything is done. New deep pan is installed with the magnet from the factory pan AND a magnetic plug is installed for better metallic particle containment. Rear diff fluid was also done and the cover was replaced.

Quick Reply: Changing trans fluid and installing deep pan