1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Truck Needs Nicoderm!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 01:08 AM
Rosetta is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Truck Needs Nicoderm!

Please help!
I have a '93 S-10 Blazer 4.3 vortec and it's blowing black smoke really bad. It looks like soot. It also shakes like crazy when I first take off from a stop. I'm thinking EGR but its been doing this for a while only not so bad and I thought the cad was cloging up.. I got a SES light about a week age and that was a 32(EGR). I put a IAC valve and a CPI unit(spider) in Oct. Is it possable I did something wrong?

Thanks so much,
Rosetta

Old 05-12-2006, 11:45 AM
b_lazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Truck Needs Nicoderm!

you might have some bad rings on your pistons

Old 05-12-2006, 11:51 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would first try some seafoam through the intake (pcv hose - run a search) and then another bottle down into the crankcase. It may free up stuck or gummed up oil rings on the pistons. If that doesn't solve your problem, it may be time for new valve seals in the heads. If you cannot do it yourself, it can get expensive.

Does your truck use oil between oil changes? Or is it fuel related? If you think it's fuel related, how is the gas mileage? And are there any codes (check engine light on?)?

Old 06-06-2006, 12:56 AM

I'm so sorry it's took so long to get back with you(long story). I think my problem is fuel. She never uses oil and sometimes I can smell gas when I first start her or when she's at an idle. Before a put in the spider thing I was getting about 7 mpg, after around 14 mpg and now about 11. I think the black smoke is carbon but I'm not sure. I'm gonna clean the EGR this weekend and see if that helps. Could you please tell me what you mean by (pvc-run a search). What I'm understanding is to put the seafoam in the intake manifold next to the IAC valve and also the valve cover? The only code I get is 32.

Thank you so much for your help!!!
Rosetta

Old 06-06-2006, 05:44 PM

O.K. I have the seafoam and the guy at Autozone(OH MY GOD) told me to poor one can in the oil and the other one down a vacuum hose. This was after he read the bottle and asked me what "the seafoam is in the bottle". So he didn't even know what it was. I don't know if I should trust him or not. Could someone please help.

Thanks so much,
Rosetta

Old 06-06-2006, 06:27 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I have never needed to use it in the oil, but as far as down the intake, yeah, basically that is what is done.

I grabbed a small set of funnels from Walmart (think kitchen utensile size). You'll want to use a fairly large vac line that runs to the throttle body so that the seafoam travels the long way through the intake. You may need two people, one to keep the engine running, and the other to pour in the seafoam. Pour 2/3 of a bottle in slowly as to not really choke off the engine too much, then the last 1/3 in relatively fast. Let the engine die as the last of it gets in and let it sit for atleast a half hour. Then go out and drive it like you stole it until it stops smoking. If you have alot of carbon buildup, it'll smoke like there's no tomorrow.

Best practice is to then atleast check your plugs to make sure that they have not be fouled by the crap loosening up inside your motor. The oil will need to be changed at this point so if you want, dump one down into the crankcase the day or two before you do this, drive it like normal and then do the intake cleaning. Change the oil to cap it all off.

Good luck!!!

Old 06-06-2006, 06:38 PM

THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!!

Old 02-16-2008, 06:41 PM
megtom2 is an unknown quantity at this point

OK, running the search I wonder if this could be the problem of my 95?? Would I pour the seafoam into the pcv line that goes into the plenum? Black soot and a cpi replacement fairly recently which is exactly what is going on with me. Thanks