1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Vent blower stuck on floor

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 07:27 AM
Beginning Member
gomfrddy is on a distinguished road
Default Vent blower stuck on floor

Ok, so I am trying to bring on to life this stray(93) I picked up....I am working on the ac but the vents are stuck on floor...any ideas?..thanks

Old 05-11-2010, 07:39 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have proper vacuum supply to the HVAC controls?

Old 05-11-2010, 09:36 AM
Beginning Member

IDK? how do you check for that?

Old 05-12-2010, 05:00 AM
Starting Member
rdhack is an unknown quantity at this point

I screwed a hacksaw blade to my vent and operate it manually. Pull it to the right when I want floor-------Push it to the left when I want defrost & AC..

That vent would be an *** to replace.

Old 05-12-2010, 05:15 AM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

You need to check the vacuumpart of the delector switch. You have 2 screws that hold the control in. Just remove them and the whole control will be loose in your hands. Start your truck snd operate the cintrols through the whole cycle. There will be a rotary vacuun switch you can watch. This ports vacuum to various actuators that control where the air is coming from. Probabky one of the best investments you can make is a hand held vacuum pump. I have a Mity-Vac and it's good for more than troubleshooting the Htr/AC system. You can get them at Harbor Freight or pretty much any auto parts store. There is a guide with it that tells you about the problem you're having and how to fix it.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:36 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by rdhack
I screwed a hacksaw blade to my vent and operate it manually. Pull it to the right when I want floor-------Push it to the left when I want defrost & AC..

That vent would be an *** to replace.
I am sorry but what vent?

Old 05-12-2010, 11:38 PM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

Ya know sometimes to fix them you just have to take 'em apart. Some jobs are harder than others but if you want it right you just have to bite the bullet. I've had every actuatur out in a 91 and yeah the center one is tough but hey, it's just work. I didn't rip my whole dash apart to get at it but I didn't say I didn't bleed a little adjusting the flapper door.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:46 AM
Starting Member
rdhack is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gomfrddy
I am sorry but what vent?
Sorry I used the wrong terminology. NOT vent...I should have said actuator/flap or whatever you call them things that vacuum flops back and forth to direct air flow. It is the one closest to the floor.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:02 AM
Beginning Member

ok, thanks!

Old 05-29-2011, 01:39 PM
Beginning Member
btb1003 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Gimpy Blazer
You need to check the vacuumpart of the delector switch. You have 2 screws that hold the control in. Just remove them and the whole control will be loose in your hands. Start your truck snd operate the cintrols through the whole cycle. There will be a rotary vacuun switch you can watch. This ports vacuum to various actuators that control where the air is coming from. Probabky one of the best investments you can make is a hand held vacuum pump. I have a Mity-Vac and it's good for more than troubleshooting the Htr/AC system. You can get them at Harbor Freight or pretty much any auto parts store. There is a guide with it that tells you about the problem you're having and how to fix it.
So is the deflector switch the part to replace provided all vac lines are fine?

Quick Reply: Vent blower stuck on floor