1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Want to bypass heater

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 10:38 AM
Beginning Member
meworrynot is on a distinguished road
Default Want to bypass heater

I want to put shut offs in my heater hoses to kill all the heat to the core. I'm in Texas and the a/c blows really warm for about 30 seconds when I start the car. I don't need the heat for MOST of the year, and want to know if I need to put in a by-pas under the hood, or is it safe to just shut the lines off? It's a 1994 s-10 4dr, Tahoe with the W engine.

Thanks,

Pete in Texas

Old 08-07-2010, 11:56 AM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

You just get a 5/8 hose connector, and take the 2 ends off the heater core and join them together with the connector you bought. Done. No heat.

Old 08-07-2010, 12:46 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

And after you are done, you will realize that everything that you just changed didn't have any really noticeable impact on the problem...

The reason why it blows hot for a bit after it has sat out in the sun is because all of the ducts are hot. It takes a bit for the ducts to cool down and as they do, they are heating up the air that is going through them. Not having hot coolant running through the heater core may reduce the heat soak aspect a bit, but it won't solve the problem.

Old 08-07-2010, 02:45 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
And after you are done, you will realize that everything that you just changed didn't have any really noticeable impact on the problem...

The reason why it blows hot for a bit after it has sat out in the sun is because all of the ducts are hot. It takes a bit for the ducts to cool down and as they do, they are heating up the air that is going through them. Not having hot coolant running through the heater core may reduce the heat soak aspect a bit, but it won't solve the problem.
I should have been clearer, the problem is when I start it after sitting for a short time I get really hot air, almost humid. When I start it after sitting for a long period, say sev eral hours, it's better.

Pete in Texas

Old 08-07-2010, 03:55 PM
Xhanrha is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by meworrynot
I should have been clearer, the problem is when I start it after sitting for a short time I get really hot air, almost humid. When I start it after sitting for a long period, say sev eral hours, it's better.

Pete in Texas
It sound like its just pushing the air around the cab, even though you disconnected the heater core you still with have the stale air in the cab. Check your out side cab to the blower motor and make sure it is cleaned out and nothing is blocking it. Some very few models of your truck also had Cabin Air filters check to see if you have one and replace it or just put a screen in its place.

Old 08-07-2010, 04:22 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Xhanrha
It sound like its just pushing the air around the cab, even though you disconnected the heater core you still with have the stale air in the cab. Check your out side cab to the blower motor and make sure it is cleaned out and nothing is blocking it. Some very few models of your truck also had Cabin Air filters check to see if you have one and replace it or just put a screen in its place.
I havn't yet disconnected anything, looking for advice at this point, I will check to see if there is anything blocked. How easy it is to overlook the obvios, untill great people like y'all remind me. Thanks to all!

Pete in Texas

Old 08-07-2010, 05:49 PM
94BlazerPA is on a distinguished road

Install a remote starter on your truck, leave the AC turned ON, and just start your truck when your about 40 secs away, by the time you get to the truck that 30 secs of hot air should be gone and your AC should be blowing nice cold air for you.

Old 08-07-2010, 06:39 PM
Beginning Member

I guess the main question I have is does coolant need to flow through the heater lines, or can they e stopped by a shut off. I don't know if there needs to be some flow through them. My ac is fully charged and I was thinking that there is some warmth coming into the system while the A/C is on that is reducing the cooling power.

Pete in Texas

Old 08-08-2010, 04:03 AM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

No you can loop the heater hoses. Lots ofpoeple do that when the core starts leaking. Dont block the hoses, just join them together.