1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Water leaking from "air box" below dash, passenger side.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 05:16 PM
Beginning Member
S.Hafsmo is on a distinguished road
Default Water leaking from "air box" below dash, passenger side.

Every time it rains, the carpets on the passenger side gets wet.
I've removed the carpets, and cowl vent cover (?), concluding that when i pour water into the space under the wipers, it drips from the air box under the dash.

I've done some searching reading, but haven't really seen anything that concludes my problem.

Some places I've seen that the door/flap that's underneath this cowl, is supposed to be closed when it's not on "Max AC"? Mine's always open. I've also seen some vent holes that you must remove the fender to properly locate, but they seem to be only on the Gen2?

The drain on the passenger side seems to be open, as it's quite a steady flow below the car when i pour water down there.

Any ideas to how the water get's into the vent system?

Old 05-16-2013, 12:10 AM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

There are a couple cowl drains on both sides that lead to the fenders, pull off the cowl and check them, it seems that if it is not the heater core that is causing the floor to get wet, that is the next think in line, also, check the door weather stripping.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:15 AM
Twip will become famous soon enough

i would double check the drain in the air box that leads outside the firewall. its the drain that gets used all the time when the a/c evaporator core sweats and creates water. it could be plugged up with dirt.
as far as your door staying open all the time, thats what it suppose to do. the only time that door closes is when you have it on max a/c. that is the recirculation door. when it closes, it only takes air from inside the cab instead of outside. that way it can cool it down even more without having to work so hard.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:40 AM
Beginning Member

where exactly is the drain you're mentioning?

It's not the door or the heater core, as it's quite easy to see that it starts to drip between the air box and the firewall as soon as I start pouring water down the cowl.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:12 AM
Beginning Member

Bring Up My Post

Old 05-31-2013, 10:27 AM
AndrewO1991 is on a distinguished road

take the cowling off and look to see where the water is going.

Old 05-31-2013, 01:35 PM
Beginning Member

It goes towards the previously mentioned resirc-door, and drains down behind the fender, comes out behind the front right wheel.

Old 09-04-2013, 03:47 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Twip
i would double check the drain in the air box that leads outside the firewall. its the drain that gets used all the time when the a/c evaporator core sweats and creates water. it could be plugged up with dirt.
as far as your door staying open all the time, thats what it suppose to do. the only time that door closes is when you have it on max a/c. that is the recirculation door. when it closes, it only takes air from inside the cab instead of outside. that way it can cool it down even more without having to work so hard.
Anyone knows where exactly this drain is located?

Old 09-17-2013, 02:50 AM
Beginning Member

Couldn't find any drains, but I've figured that my problem is probably caused by deteriorated rubbers around the hinges, as the space below leads direcly into the fan and re-sirc door.

No. 7 on this drawing. Called "Hinge seals"

Pic taken from LMCtruck.com.

Attached Thumbnails Water leaking from "air box" below dash, passenger side.-g57rzjc0pznz25l391nm.jpg