1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

what is this part (under the hood with pic)?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 02:03 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by rastoma
Yes, on the firewall, top right side of the engine compartment.
you mean on the left corner of the firewall, beside the booster. i know you said this first, but then you changed it to the right side. remember, the orientation of the vehicle is in relation to the driver's sitting position (i have this arrguement with my best friend all the time, he calls the part of the box, near the cab, "the back" all the time, no onder i can't find his tools when he tells me where to look, hahahaha)

Originally Posted by swartlkk
If you have a TBI motor then the answer is yes. If you have the CPI motor, then there is a fuel pressure test port on the back of the intake plenum near the brake booster. I doubt you have a TBI motor though. If you have VORTEC written on the top of your motor, then it is the CPI motor.

As stated, any autoparts store will have one. Some let you rent. They come in handy though.
"W" code is the Vortec, just confirming.

you mentioned something about the part under the "Vortec" cover on the engine as well? that's the servo for the CPI iside (it opens up shorter runners for the top end.........or is it the other way around? been awile since i pulled apart a CPI Vortec.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:01 AM
Starting Member
rastoma is on a distinguished road

I see this is a reply to two different so people so I'm just replying to my part

Yes you are right, I get that confused since I don't work on cars much (trying to do more of my own service now so I have a lot to learn).

I was looking under the hood facing the engine and said on the right.... but yes the relays were on the left by the brake booster.

Thanks for the clarification.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:04 PM
Starting Member

Picked up a cool looking fuel pressure test kit from Autozone... $150 deposit. I got 90 days to check my fuel pressure LOL

If it takes me 90 days I got bigger problems than fuel pressure

Hope to get to use it tomorrow and see what it says.

Old 10-03-2009, 10:32 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by rastoma
I see this is a reply to two different so people so I'm just replying to my part

Yes you are right, I get that confused since I don't work on cars much (trying to do more of my own service now so I have a lot to learn).

I was looking under the hood facing the engine and said on the right.... but yes the relays were on the left by the brake booster.

Thanks for the clarification.
that's how we learn, buy just trying to do it.

no problem. good luck with the diagnosis.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:39 PM
Starting Member

Ok, used the fancy fuel pressure tester from Autozone (looked fancy to me anyway).

I hooked into the test port behind the intake. When I turn the key to ON, the needle hits dead on 60psi instantly. After approx. 2 seconds, I hear a click and the pressure drops to 53psi. I did this several times and it was exact every time. A couple of times I waited a few minutes and the pressure did not fall one bit from 53 (with the engine off).

I started the engine and while idling the PSI stayed pretty much on 52-53... just a very, very slight movement of the needle. I accelerated the psi still averaged 52, somtimes went to 51 while I revved the engine but never lower.

I just replaced the fuel filter before testing and didn't test the pressure before. The old filter was the original factory filter and it smelled bad when I removed it, like old varnish. I could tell a little better acceleration after replacing the filter. But still the slight miss/hesitation is there, more so during idling and slow speeds.

So does the pressure look ok?

Old 10-07-2009, 05:53 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds right.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:58 PM
Starting Member

So what's the next item I should look at?

rotor cap, button, wires, plugs, fuel filter, air filter.. all replaced. No codes being generated.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:40 PM
plcarrell is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Relays

The one on the right is the fuel pump. the left is the A/C.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:02 PM
BF Guru

Originally Posted by plcarrell
The one on the right is the fuel pump. the left is the A/C.
already been covered, read the posts

Old 10-11-2009, 09:37 AM
Beginning Member
treysanatomy is on a distinguished road

I apologize for the hijack but if one is the fuel pump relay can that cause your pump to not pump or your truck to not start. How would ya test it. I have this very vehicle and never had bit of trouble till 5 days ago, it sputtered and quit and won't start, if you put a bit of fuel in the tbi it will start but starting fuel is no help. Please Please accept my apology for the hijack but I am as most on here in quite a jam right now. Thanx

Quick Reply: what is this part (under the hood with pic)?