1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

what is this part (under the hood with pic)?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 03:19 AM
Starting Member
rastoma is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by treysanatomy
I apologize for the hijack but if one is the fuel pump relay can that cause your pump to not pump or your truck to not start. How would ya test it. I have this very vehicle and never had bit of trouble till 5 days ago, it sputtered and quit and won't start, if you put a bit of fuel in the tbi it will start but starting fuel is no help. Please Please accept my apology for the hijack but I am as most on here in quite a jam right now. Thanx
It's no biggie to me, but some times hijacking can be a real irritation.

next time just start a new thread but copy the URL of the thread you want to reference and include that in your post.

But I'm past the relay issue so if you need further help and if others don't mind replying you can reply back here since you've asked

Both those relays are the same, just connected to different things. So if you want to see if the relay is causing your issue, unplug them both and swap them (just making sure you keep track so you don't accidentally plug them into the same connector again).

If you're A/C doesn't work though, then there could be a SLIGHT possibility that both relays could be bad but I'd say that would be rare. But they are less than $10 at Advance Auto Parts. Just unplug one and take it with you.

But try swapping them first.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:21 AM
Beginning Member
treysanatomy is on a distinguished road

As always thanx to everyone,

Old 10-13-2009, 08:56 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by rastoma
............Both those relays are the same, just connected to different things. So if you want to see if the relay is causing your issue, unplug them both and swap them (just making sure you keep track so you don't accidentally plug them into the same connector again).

But try swapping them first.
you can bypass the relay, if you're not sure about the condition of it, by simply running a jumper wire from pin 30 to 87 (the layout is marked on the relay itself). if the pump turns on, then the relay is bad.
but, before you drop the tank for a suspected bad pump check the fuse for it. i dropped the tank on my 'Burb, that was full (40 gals.), only to find a bad fuse after it still wouldn't start with the new pump.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:17 AM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

The re;ay on the left is definately the fuel pump relay. According to my book, if it's a Vortec, the one on the right is the Intake Manifold Tuning Valve relay. Leaving this open probaly isn't a good idea especially with all the dirt and stuff I see around them. A new one will run you aboit $10 - $15 and will take about 5 minutes (if that) to change.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:46 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Gimpy Blazer
The re;ay on the left is definately the fuel pump relay. According to my book, if it's a Vortec, the one on the right is the Intake Manifold Tuning Valve relay. Leaving this open probaly isn't a good idea especially with all the dirt and stuff I see around them. A new one will run you aboit $10 - $15 and will take about 5 minutes (if that) to change.
did you even read the thread Gimpy?

don't just read the OP, then offer up your diagnosis/opinion. read through the whole thread, then point it out if it's been missed. his relay issue was resolved on October 1st, plus this thread has laid dormant for over a month now.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:07 AM

Sorry, man I'm an idiot sometimes and don't rread the dates. You can tell I'm new to this forum thing. I'll try harder. Seriously.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:18 AM
BF Guru

Sorry, man I'm an idiot sometimes and don't rread the dates. You can tell I'm new to this forum thing. I'll try harder. Seriously.

no need to be that hard on yourself-we'll do it for ya!

seriously though, it does happen to the rest of us sometimes. you'll get the hang of reading posts sooner or later-hopefully sooner!

Old 12-17-2009, 08:28 AM

Thanks for the chastise. Hope I can repay the favor sometime. We're cool.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:06 PM
BF Guru

Thanks for the chastise. Hope I can repay the favor sometime. We're cool.

good luck with that! i think Curtis (ABN31B) is on the lookout for me to slip-not sure why though.