1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

wont start PLEASE HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 07:24 PM
thebandit is on a distinguished road
Default wont start PLEASE HELP!!!

Hello, Iam brand new to this forum, I want to thank you all for your help in advance, to make a long story short ive always wanted a blazer, and last week I bought one, its a 87 s-10 blazer 4x4 with the 2.8 (not the engine I wanted but the price was good) anyway its been sitting in their drive way for 6 years, wouldnt start, I got it to the garage, and starting working on it, first thing I saw was that it did have a half tank of gas BUT 6 year old gas is not gas anymore haha, so I also noticed that when I turned the key I could not hear the pump, I took a test light and checked and did have power at the pump, so I droped the tank and went to replace the pump, well the tank had rusted bad inside, and the sending unit was junk, so I bought a brand new pump, sending unit, and tank, installed and now can hear the pump run, fuel lines were leaking, so I replaced all the fuel lines, put a quarter tank of gas in it, tryed to start and still no start, doesent seem to be getting fuel at the throttle body, so as you know the fuel filter on the 2.8 is on the engine, so I removed the rubber line off the filter and turned the key and it shot fuel out, so Its getting fuel to the filter, at that point my thought was ok maybe the filter is cloged, so I took the metal line off the filter and re installed the rubber line on the bottom to see if fuel comes out of the filter, and it does, so now Iam stumped, I also hooked up a noid light on each injecter and both are pulsing like they should, so please help me guys, Iam lost, the engine will run if I spray starting fluid down the throttle but thats it, so thats why I know its a fuel problem, but everything other than the throttle body is now new. any help will be awesome!!!! Thank you so much, and I look forward to spending alot of time here on this great forum.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:35 PM
Beginning Member
Kwillia is on a distinguished road

Are you getting any spark at the plugs?

Old 11-17-2010, 07:39 PM

yes its getting spark because It will run off of starting fluid or gas dumped in the throttle body, I can see the injectors themselves not spraying fuel at all, but injectors are good, so thats why iam stumped, its def a fuel issue thank you

Old 11-17-2010, 08:16 PM
Beginning Member

How much pressure are you getting

Old 11-17-2010, 08:26 PM

I havent checked the pressure, its a brand new pump, even with low pressure I should atleast see fuel coming out the injectors, its like something is stoping the fuel from getting to the injectors.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:57 PM
Beginning Member

they might be clogged up i don't know to much about the 2.8 but i know 6 years old fuel is very bad ha, it might be a pain but take em off try cleaning them out or buy new ones.. i hope you get it up and running i sure do hate to see a down blazer.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:40 PM

thanks, me too bud......Iam sure i will figure it out....hopefully I can do it soon, ive wanted one of these for a very long time, and it sucks I still cant get it running.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:58 PM
Beginning Member

do you have a pic i would like to see it, what gauge cluster do you have, sorry if im off topic a lil

Old 11-18-2010, 10:52 PM

its all stock, I dont have any pictures loaded yet, I really want to get this running so I can start changing some stuff on it haha

Old 11-19-2010, 05:49 AM
Beginning Member
BrokenTruck16 is on a distinguished road

Not really sure, hopefully somebody has some good imput. let us know what u find out!

Quick Reply: wont start PLEASE HELP!!!