1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

you light up my life....HEADLIGHTS

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 03:18 AM
kakn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default you light up my life....HEADLIGHTS

heres my problem, my left front headlight was really dim so i figured id go buy some new ones. i install the passanger side headlight and its still really dim. i pluged in the old one then the other new one, still dim. i noticed that theres was a wire or two coming from the headlight harness to the horn harness. so im thinking what the ----!!!
so i leave the lights on and hop in the blazer and think.....maybe if i honk the horn it will get brighter or something ( im pulling straws here at this point ) didnt do any thing. i noticed that if i slam on the horn i hear a clicking noise from under the dash. my horn and my dome lights dont work altho they never have since ive owned it. as of right now i have one bright passanger side headlight and one dim drivers side light.
are they wired together or whats the deal? i was thinking maybe a bad ground but the wireing itself is pretty much intackt and looks unmolested.

any ideas would be appreciated.

Old 12-13-2006, 03:42 AM
Default RE: you light up my life....HEADLIGHTS

ok, i just got back from being outside messing with my blazer. get a load of this!!!!!! my interior lights dont work and neither does my horn, so i pull the horn fuse and check it. the fuse is fine. i honk my horn and it works. yea!!! i finally have a horn!!! i turn on my headlights and the horn doesnt work........till i pull the fuse out and put it back in. WTF!!!!! so i have concluded that my headlights have something to do with my horn etc.... any ideas? hanr3 if your reading this feel free to stop out sometime lol!!!

Old 12-13-2006, 10:28 AM
DetroitMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point

trace your grounds.

Old 12-13-2006, 01:02 PM
gizwilly is an unknown quantity at this point

Won't be any help to you, but I had a horn problem like this on my Corvette.

Pulled the fuse and my neighbor's porch light went off!

Gawd I hate electrical problems.

Good luck!

Old 12-13-2006, 03:02 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

"Hey honey, what does this switch do?" *neighbor's garage door slams into her car* LOL remember that commercial!

Not to take this off topic... ^^^Still funny^^^

If I can find a wiring diagram for you tonight, I'll send it your way. Should help you in determining what is going on. Does sound like a ground problem to me.

Old 12-13-2006, 09:56 PM

i checked on the auto zone web site and got the wire diagrams but id be damned if i could locate the horn wireing. according to the diagram the headlights are wired in series and appears to only have a ground on the drivers side head light. id rather have my headlights than my horn. thats why the big guy upstairs gave me 2 middle fingers and made me 6'2 300 pounds.

Old 12-14-2006, 01:22 AM

any ideas if there should be a ground coming from the headlight harness that connects to the horn harness? i think this may be the problem but i ran out of daylight. i also noticed that the passangers side headlight is grounded to the chasis where is the drivers is aparently grounded to the horn or sumntin.

Old 12-14-2006, 04:25 AM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: kakn

any ideas if there should be a ground coming from the headlight harness that connects to the horn harness? i think this may be the problem but i ran out of daylight. i also noticed that the passangers side headlight is grounded to the chasis where is the drivers is aparently grounded to the horn or sumntin.
You might check all the fuse box connections to see that they are all solid, make sure that all mounting bolts are tight. make sure that the firewall pass through block is tight. Also check any areas in the wire harness where these items might cross ie steering colomn, to start with...

Old 12-15-2006, 12:30 AM

problem solved!!! ran ground wire from headlight to chasis and horn grond to horn bracket. horn works headlights work. woo hoo!!! now to find out why my interior lights stay on all the time.

Old 12-15-2006, 01:49 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, looks like I am a litle late.

For future refference, anytime the lights are dim, its a ground problem. I learned that the hard way as well, only on a Corsica. I ended up running new ground wires for the headlights and hte world was perfect again.

So the horn and headlights work now?

Still having trouble with the interior lights? Did you check to see if they are getting power when the door is open, open all doors and checkit. That way you take out hte possibility of it being just one door switch. If they work with all the doors open, test one door at a time. If you dont have power, check your headlight switch.

your local? Where? Did we talk about this already?

Quick Reply: you light up my life....HEADLIGHTS