Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

lower intake man. torque.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 12:46 PM
ant2297 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default lower intake man. torque.

I replaced the lower intake man. gaskets again because of the lack of RTV I used in the rear of the block that started a oil leak. Anyway, I think the torque for the lower intake bolts are 11 ft/lbs? Thats what I torqued them down to but I used a 6 in. extender on the torque wrench to get to the bolts. I wasnt thinking at the time because it was 2 in the morning, but doesnt that mean that I only torqued the bolts down to 5.5 ft/lbs? Does the extender absorb half of the torque because it was 6 in. long? The truck runs fine, smooth, but now im a little worried. Im going to do my valve cover gaskets soon, so im going to re-torque those bolts. If the extender really does absorb torque should i adjust the wrench to 22-23 ft/lbs? And what do you think would happen if I leave those bolts at such a low spec?

Old 10-13-2009, 12:59 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

An extension does not move the bolt axis off of the torque wrench pivot axis so no, you do not modify the torque when using an extension. If you were using a crowsfoot socket, then you may have to modify the torque value based on the added distance between pivot points.

As far as the torque goes, it is critical on this intake manifold design. You should tighten the manifold in a three step process and in the proper order. First pass - 27in.lbs. Second pass - 106in.lbs. Final pass - 11ft.lbs. The sequence is per the image below:

For the upper plenum, you should do two passes. First pass - 44in.lbs. Final pass - 80in.lbs.

As far as the valve covers are concerned, the retaining bolts should be torqued to 106in.lbs.

Old 10-13-2009, 01:05 PM

Thanks swart that was a fast reply I really appreciate it. So now I dont have to worry about it. And thanks for the intake diagram and torque specs on the valve cover bolts. I dont want to be asking for too much but do you know the torque for the rocker arm nuts? Ill just check them when replacing those gaskets.
thanks again.

Old 10-13-2009, 01:13 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Not a problem. Rocker arm torque is 22ft.lbs. You will need to make sure that the valve is closed prior to checking torque on the rocker arm retaining bolt.

Old 10-13-2009, 01:17 PM

swart you the best