2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Front Axle Seal

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 08:27 PM
jody is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Front Axle Seal

I have a 1999 S-10 Blazer ZR2. Just had oil changed & noticed that front axle seal is leaking on passenger side. Hub assembly and CV boot was just replaced on that side as well. Anybody out there know how big a job it is to fix this or how much I should expect to pay to have it done?

Thanks!

Old 12-11-2006, 11:38 AM
nasarocketman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Front Axle Seal

Just replaced mine yesterday on the passenger side. Cost was about $8 for the seal. Worked for about 5 hrs on it. ( I'm a shade tree mechanic). A pro would probably be a lot quicker. Hardest part was getting the old seal out. I didn't have a seal puller. Get one if you can. Be aware of a clear plastic piece inside the differential that may move around when you go to put the shaft back in. If it move it may prevent you from re inserting the drive shaft all the way. Good luck.

Old 12-11-2006, 12:23 PM
LT1KICKER is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone know how to fix the leaking differential? I'm afraid it appears very expensive.....[:@]

Old 12-11-2006, 06:35 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

If the diff oil seal is leaking, there is no other way, as described by nasarocketman, the axle shaft needs to be removed so the seal can be replaced.
If you don't want to attempt the repair, phone a few places for estimates.
The seal is cheap, it's the time to do the job that costs money. The seal repair is a lot cheaper than a diff replacement or repair due to a lack of lubrication though.

Old 12-11-2006, 10:34 PM
joey is an unknown quantity at this point

I just did mine last weekend, I soda cheated on mine. What I did was remove the passenger wheel. Then I disconnected the brake caliper and tied it off to the side. Supporting the lower control arm with a jack, undo the nut on the ball joint at the upper control arm. Then separate the ball joint from the upper control arm. A puller and some heat will help with this if it is frozen on there. After that lower the lower control arm with the knuckle still attached to it. Then with a block of wood and a hammer, tap on the CV axle at the differential, it is splined on there and held with modest clips. A couple good whacks will release the clips and the CV axle should be free. The knuckle should rotate downward enough in order to allow the CV axle to be removed from the spined shaft. Then move it to the side. Unbolting the shock absorber may be necessary to give you enough room. Then simple pry the old seal out, install the new one and make sure it is flush with the end of the differential tube. Also make sure to apply grease to the lips of the seal and grease the CV axle end. Now time to reassemble!!