2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1999 Blazer Air Conditioner parts recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 12:54 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough
Question 1999 Blazer Air Conditioner parts recommendations

Hi all,

I'm starting to plan my next fix which is to replace the AC compressor, condenser, accumulator and orifice tube. I'll flush all the lines during the process too.

My question is if anyone has any recommendations for the parts brands to use? For instance, RockAuto has the following brands listed for compressors: GPD, Four Seasons, Valeo, Denso and AC-Delco Professional.

Related to this is that according to RockAuto, you can order either a "Sanden Replacement for OE style" or an "HT-6" style compressor. Can anyone tell me what the differences are?

Thanks!

Old 04-30-2018, 10:29 AM
jacked_72 is on a distinguished road

The HT6 is a round body compressor sealed with a large oring in the middle. From what I've read, its a bad design and eventually will leak at the seal. Mine did, and it was a rebuilt unit. I went with the sanden style replacement. It bolted right in just fine. I picked a new compressor (which was a return) for $46 on Amazon, which is about one third of the price. I'm happy with it. It was a UAC CO 4440C. Mine is a 1996 vehicle and I don't know if its the same compressor for yours.

I've replace a half dozen compressors over the years and generally buy a new Chinese compressor. I have not had a problem with them. Having said that, if money were not an object, I'd buy a Denso. Just my bias.

Last edited by jacked_72; 04-30-2018 at 10:56 AM.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:02 AM
Rusty Nuts is on a distinguished road

Jacked_72 is correct about the factory HT6 style and the belly leaks. The improved design sanden model 4261 is a plug and play replacement that has no seam, quieter, performs better and lasts longer. Captain Hook also recommended upgrading the fixed orifice tube with a variable orifice valve in the clutch cycling orifice tube. A $20 upgrade that works that well; Thanks again Captain.

Old 04-30-2018, 11:20 AM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by jacked_72
The HT6 is a round body compressor sealed with a large oring in the middle. From what I've read, its a bad design and eventually will leak at the seal. Mine did, and it was a rebuilt unit. I went with the sanden style replacement. It bolted right in just fine. I picked a new compressor (which was a return) for $46 on Amazon, which is about one third of the price. I'm happy with it. It was a UAC CO 4440C. Mine is a 1996 vehicle and I don't know if its the same compressor for yours.

I've replace a half dozen compressors over the years and generally buy a new Chinese compressor. I have not had a problem with them. Having said that, if money were not an object, I'd buy a Denso. Just my bias.

Originally Posted by Rusty Nuts
Jacked_72 is correct about the factory HT6 style and the belly leaks. The improved design sanden model 4261 is a plug and play replacement that has no seam, quieter, performs better and lasts longer. Captain Hook also recommended upgrading the fixed orifice tube with a variable orifice valve in the clutch cycling orifice tube. A $20 upgrade that works that well; Thanks again Captain.
I'm so glad I asked. Big thanks to both of you.

I'll be checking up on both part numbers for the compressors. Even if they are not compatible with my 1999, I'm sure they'll point me in the right direction!

Old 04-30-2018, 03:45 PM
Tajohns34 is on a distinguished road

Yep, Sanden syle is the way to go. That is the route I plan on taking when mine finally kicks the bucket.

Old 05-01-2018, 12:17 AM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

I used an AC Delco replacement when my original unit failed and have about 50,000 miles on it.

George

Old 05-18-2018, 12:38 AM
Mike.308 is on a distinguished road

Howdy,
While doing my LIM gaskets I found my compressor busted too. Exactly as You have mentioned - at the seal. As I haven't seen a sense of getting a new one of bad design, I went for UAC replacement. I have received a parcel yesterday. Seems UAC is equipped only with a clutch plug, but does not have a pressure switch at the back. I think I'll shunt the contact, but I'm posting an info here, maybe somebody will find it useful...

Old 05-18-2018, 12:56 AM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Mike.308
Howdy,
While doing my LIM gaskets I found my compressor busted too. Exactly as You have mentioned - at the seal. As I haven't seen a sense of getting a new one of bad design, I went for UAC replacement. I have received a parcel yesterday. Seems UAC is equipped only with a clutch plug, but does not have a pressure switch at the back. I think I'll shunt the contact, but I'm posting an info here, maybe somebody will find it useful...
Hi Mike!

I totally owe you an email don't I?

Thanks for the info about about the switch being deleted. I think I saw in some of the installation instructions for the various compressors how to take out a plug and install that switch.

As for AC parts, I went with a Sanden style compressor and parts kit from Rock Auto. I should get those parts next week. Don't know if I'll have time to install them right away but now I'm thinking I'll have to document my repairs and post about it.

Old 05-18-2018, 01:56 AM
Mike.308 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by christine_208
Hi Mike!

I totally owe you an email don't I?

Thanks for the info about about the switch being deleted. I think I saw in some of the installation instructions for the various compressors how to take out a plug and install that switch.

As for AC parts, I went with a Sanden style compressor and parts kit from Rock Auto. I should get those parts next week. Don't know if I'll have time to install them right away but now I'm thinking I'll have to document my repairs and post about it.
Would be nice to keep up
The genuine HT6 sensor has a C-clip mount of a sensor, I bet it's unthreaded:

UAC has something that might be a threaded plug:

Thanks for the tip Chistine, I'll google for info on the pressure switch installation. Anyway, I don't feel I should care much about, as I have seen many ac designs that would clutch in and run the compressor even when empty...

Old 05-24-2018, 10:16 AM
Besel53 is on a distinguished road

Hey Christine! You start on this yet? I just put in the GDP Sanden style kit from Rock Auto, (was like 147$ shipped including a bottle of compressor oil) but I didn't do the condenser. Everything went in pretty quick and easy. Just had to move the high pressure switch from the back of the old one to the new one, and move the sensor from the old accumulator to the new one. Replaced any seals I ran into with the new ones in the kit. A/C is nice and cold! I borrowed a vac pump and manifold set from my local AZ. Worked out just fine.

Quick Reply: 1999 Blazer Air Conditioner parts recommendations