2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2000 4.3W Fuel pressure regulator location. Pic?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 05:38 PM
old4x4 is on a distinguished road
Default 2000 4.3W Fuel pressure regulator location. Pic?

I need to replace the FPR on my 2000 Blazer, but cannot seem to locate it. According to the Chilton's manual, all I have to do is pull a vacuum line, remove a holddown screw and pull it out. It must be up top of the engine somewhere. I don't believe its under the intake manifold on this engine or Chilton's would've made it clear. No pics in it, either. Can anyone help?
Thanks.
FYI, The DIY article on this starts out with the title for replacing it on the 4.3W engine, then gives detailed info for the 4.3L Vortec engine. OOPS

Last edited by old4x4; 12-20-2011 at 05:46 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:22 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure the FPR needs to be replaced? The reason I ask is because the 96+ FPR design rarely goes bad so proper diagnosis of the problem is key to getting it fixed quickly, efficiently, & with as little expense as possible. If you haven't already done so, isolate the fuel pump as described in the tail end of the 96+ fuel pressure test tech article and see if the leak down still is present. If it is, then there is a problem in the fuel pump assembly.

The FPR itself is located on the back of the fuel injection spider under the upper intake plenum (large plastic cover that the fuel lines run into & the throttle body sits on).

Old 12-21-2011, 06:03 AM

Yup..I'm going to replace it...I'll apparently have to pull off the air cleaner shroud and look under that area..

Old 12-21-2011, 06:51 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute
Old 12-21-2011, 07:01 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by old4x4
Yup..I'm going to replace it...I'll apparently have to pull off the air cleaner shroud and look under that area..

LOL

Aww... I just looked on youtube and every time I do I find more crap, often the shortbussers leading the blind..
However..Here is a SIMILAR {1995 W} situation that generally applies and is informative

For a youtube, it's oscar material. Pay attention.. the guy finds a bad FPR that doesnt display 'wash out' symptoms.

Leaking Fuel Pressure Regulator - YouTube

Also note the suspect symptoms in the first place. Bad idle, O2's show constant rich, no switching till at cruise, LTFT all the way lean.

PPS:
I don't believe its under the intake manifold on this engine or Chilton's would've made it clear. No pics in it, either. Can anyone help?
Thanks.
FYI, The DIY article on this starts out with the title for replacing it on the 4.3W engine, then gives detailed info for the 4.3L Vortec engine. OOPS
Either this is your first exposure to Chiltons.. or you lucked out so far.
It's hard to find a name related to auto DIY that is jeered and hooted at more than Wells/Airtex. But 'Chiltons' is sure in the running. Generally good for placing under greasy parts so you dont have to clean your bench.

Last edited by pettyfog; 12-21-2011 at 07:42 AM.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:50 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old4x4
Just reiterating the importance of testing... You haven't stated once that you tested the fuel pressure & leak down rate per the procedure or your results... It isn't exactly an easy repair so I'm trying to save you time & money by ensuring you have properly diagnosed the issue before replacing a part that RARELY goes bad on the SCFI engines.

Also, in regards to the tech article stating 4.3L W engine, the old CPI engine was also a Vin W engine. The CPI engine was used in the 93-95 trucks. The 96+ Vin W is the SCFI engine which is different as you have found out.

Old 12-26-2011, 07:12 PM

Replaced it Saturday and it starts like a charm. Thx for all the tips!

Old 12-26-2011, 07:39 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by pettyfog
.....Either this is your first exposure to Chiltons.. or you lucked out so far. It's hard to find a name related to auto DIY that is jeered and hooted at more than Wells/Airtex. But 'Chiltons' is sure in the running. Generally good for placing under greasy parts so you dont have to clean your bench.
and all I thought they were good for was lining the floor of a bird cage! Damn, I'll have to try that, good idea Pettyfog, thanks!

There really is only one shop manual, and that's the one published by the vehicle manufacturer. Expensive? Yes, but worth every penny!

Old 12-26-2011, 07:50 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
and all I thought they were good for was lining the floor of a bird cage! Damn, I'll have to try that, good idea Pettyfog, thanks!

There really is only one shop manual, and that's the one published by the vehicle manufacturer. Expensive? Yes, but worth every penny!

yup i just bought a gm shop manual for my truck It should be delivered tomorrow