2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2000 Blazer nonstop working on it

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 04:27 PM
Starting Member
Marilyn Keeling is on a distinguished road
Question 2000 Blazer nonstop working on it

I have a 2000 4x4 Blazer I luv my blazer but since bought back in 2013 it has cost me a lot of money from the first day til now I have purchased and replaced so many things it should be almost new completely and let me tell you the parts bought have not been cheap for one my blazer will not run on cheap parts (for realz No lie) anyways I'm tired of working on it but it needs motor mounts and transmission mounts put in in a very bad way so I take it to a local shop just for an idea of how many hours and kind of costs it's gonna be the mechanic tells me $456.00 and 6 hrs but he says there's something missing from under my truck he don't know what but somethings missing he mentioned that it should have lockers I sd no cause it's push button 4 wheel drive to my knowledge lockers aren't needed so my question is does my truck need lockers or is it suppose to have? I've replaced everything imaginable under my truck and not once has it crossed my mind needing lockers does lockers belong on my truck originally?

Old 03-04-2019, 05:35 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

So, what do you mean by lockers?

If you mean lock out hubs, no. Our trucks have an axle disconnect, and you might need to find a new mechanic.

Usually the term "lockers" refer to a device located within the differential that detects when one wheel is slipping, and will mechanically couple both wheels on that axle together, to give improved traction.

Old 03-04-2019, 09:08 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

When any vehicle gets to 20 y.o. there will be a constant drip, drip of repairs to do. If it was abused before you purchased it, then more things will need to be replaced. I'm come to peace with this for my Blazer. That said, I do have a running list of 'deal-killers' that would have me get rid of the truck. Among the items on the list are the motor and any major damage to the electrical system.

As for "lockers", I agree that there are locking hubs needed on our rigs, even the 3-button transfer cases. Perhaps you are talking about a locking rear-end? If so, many of the rear axles on our trucks do have them.

Old 03-04-2019, 09:20 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by christine_208
Among the items on the list are the motor and any major damage to the electrical system.
I keep waiting for the engine to die, so I can justify a V8 swap. So far, the lil 4.3 just keeps chugging along!

Old 03-05-2019, 09:34 AM
Cimmerian is on a distinguished road

20 year old truck, things ARE going to stop and break. My 2000, I have about $5k into because I wont quit on it. I just spent $1000 getting my door internals replaced, bushings and pins done and the clamp on them rebolted, and my driver side striker re-welded. This is on top of a new engine, all new cooling system and engine components, whole new suspension even though I plan on getting this thing lifted within the year, new windshield and glass all around, etc.

The thing is, if you take care of it, it will go another 20 years.

Old 03-05-2019, 10:32 AM
go chevy is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Marilyn Keeling
I have a 2000 4x4 Blazer I luv my blazer but since bought back in 2013 it has cost me a lot of money from the first day til now I have purchased and replaced so many things it should be almost new completely and let me tell you the parts bought have not been cheap for one my blazer will not run on cheap parts (for realz No lie) anyways I'm tired of working on it but it needs motor mounts and transmission mounts put in in a very bad way so I take it to a local shop just for an idea of how many hours and kind of costs it's gonna be the mechanic tells me $456.00 and 6 hrs but he says there's something missing from under my truck he don't know what but somethings missing he mentioned that it should have lockers I sd no cause it's push button 4 wheel drive to my knowledge lockers aren't needed so my question is does my truck need lockers or is it suppose to have? I've replaced everything imaginable under my truck and not once has it crossed my mind needing lockers does lockers belong on my truck originally?
Welcome to the Forum... As others have said, it costs money trying to properly service/maintain a 20 year old vehicle. I have a 98 4x4 Blazer but so far I have been lucky as far as any major repair expenses I would rather put money in it from time to time compared to a monthly car payment though...

Old 03-06-2019, 11:06 PM
Rock18 is on a distinguished road

At 19 years old these trucks basically aren't economically viable any more for many people. I'm actually not that into cars, just wound up here as an accidental enthusiast trying to keep my truck on the road. Repairs on these might exceed the value of the truck unless you're prepared to do a lot of work yourself. It's basically nonstop work, in the sense that by the time you're done it's roughly time to start over. Things wear out, technology changes, parts get hard to find etc. and the older they get the more difficult some things become. If you can keep it to the point where the investment required is still less than the expense of another car you're still coming out ahead, but everyone reaches that point eventually where the existing outlay needs to be regarded as a sunk cost that shouldn't keep influencing future decisions and you might be better off in something else. If you got from 2013 to 2019 with an already used truck maybe you did okay.

If you could post pictures maybe someone could tell you if anything's actually missing, but really generally there aren't too many unnecessary parts under there. It's unclear what "lockers" might mean too. Maybe he meant that the front transfer isn't engaging to allow 4wd any more...? That would make a ton more sense.

Old 03-10-2019, 01:06 PM
Beginning Member
Jbgraham212 is on a distinguished road
Default 00 blazers didn't come stock with lockers

[QUOTE=Marilyn Keeling;704355]I have a 2000 4x4 Blazer I luv my blazer but since bought back in 2013 it has cost me a lot of money from the first day til now I have purchased and replaced so many things it should be almost new completely and let me tell you the parts bought have not been cheap for one my blazer will not run on cheap parts (for realz No lie) anyways I'm tired of working on it but it needs motor mounts and transmission mounts put in in a very bad way so I take it to a local shop just for an idea of how many hours and kind of costs it's gonna be the mechanic tells me $456.00 and 6 hrs but he says there's something missing from under my truck he don't know what but somethings missing he mentioned that it should have lockers I sd no cause it's push button 4 wheel drive to my knowledge lockers aren't needed so my question is does my truck need lockers or is it suppose to have? I've replaced everything imaginable under my truck and not once has it crossed my mind needing lockers does lockers belong on my truck originally?

Old 03-10-2019, 01:14 PM
Beginning Member
Jbgraham212 is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=Jbgraham212;704769]
I have an 00 ZR2 Blazer, it didn't even come stock with lockers. It did come stock with a g80 differential (limited slip) which was astandard option on most 4x4s. Check your glove box for the build options, if you have a g80 you are good to go. Never have an issue in any conditions so never went to a full locker. And like a couple other post suggested, I would look for a new mechanic. But wrenching on it makes it that much more fun and convenient if you have a breakdown on the trail.

Old 03-10-2019, 03:50 PM
Mike.308 is on a distinguished road

[...] it has cost me a lot of money from the first day til now I have purchased and replaced so many things it should be almost new completely and let me tell you the parts bought have not been cheap for one my blazer will not run on cheap parts (for realz No lie) anyways I'm tired of working on it [...]
I don't know the reasons of replacing things and the condition of Your ride. But bear in mind, that a professional workshop should follow the rule: diagnose, identify, repair. There are some, who skip this rule and keep on irresponsibly replacing different things without an accurate diagnose dumping their clients wallets.

that it should have lockers I sd no cause it's push button 4 wheel drive to my knowledge lockers aren't needed so my question is does my truck need lockers or is it suppose to have? I've replaced everything imaginable under my truck and not once has it crossed my mind needing lockers does lockers belong on my truck originally?
I may bet he was thinking of a differential lockers. So - no, the stock Blazers don't come with a differential lockers (in the sense of a true lockers). Except G80 slip locker in a rear diff, that is optional. If You want to find out whether Your ride is with the locker, You may refer to a label that is into the gloves box on a passenger side. It has the RPO codes. If You find the "G80" code there, then Your ride has the limited slip. But even, if You don't have this optional feature, what is actually the problem?