Suspension Tech Have a question about modifying your suspension? Ask it here.

Front axle swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 08:38 PM
bluecoot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Front axle swap

Has anyone done a front axle swap on there blazer. I was thinking about it because the chevy front end just plain sucks I think. I know you would have to use a jeep axle. Dont know about what leafs to use and dont know if I have to lift the rear. Does anyone know if anybody sells a kit. Im assuming that you have to use different steering box but not sure. I think in the long run it would be worth it. Thanks

Old 08-22-2007, 09:57 PM
blazer10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Front axle swap

I have a 01 S-10 Zr2 pick-up, and have actually done this. The set it basically the same. I am working on a 98 blazer now, and I considered this, but I think i am sticking with the IFS lift there, simply for the everyday drivability.

However, here is some advice. there is not direct swap kit, and it is a lot of work, or money if you have it done, but it IS worth it. just be prepared.

With our transfer case, there are a few optionsfor this. The one I used worked for me was this;I went to a local junk yard, and kept an eyes out for the right truck. The 1981-1987 Toyota trucks had the perfect front end set up. The pumkin is a direct line-up with the front drive shaft. Get the whole truck and strip it. You will neet the steering stabilizers, the axle, the brakes, the whole suspension set up, etc. As long as you stay within a eight inch lift, you can even use the same drive shaft you have. I used the rear end too, but it is not nescesary. those yotas were running a 4.27 gear ratio, and you will need it for the tires, and since both front and rear had it, I swaped both. not to mention that the lug pattern is completely different, the yota runs a six lug, and ours have five. so for the sake of the rims i needed, I swaped both.

For what they are, yotas have a pretty strong drive train, so you can trust it. Now the whole set-up you have will need to be removed, and there is a lot of cutting and fitting. I had mine done at a local shop. It was pricy, but for what I wanted out of the truck, i got what I needed.

To give you an idea, the truck cost me about 1200 from the bone yard for the truck, and new parts for my truck, like brake lines, shocks, u-joints, etc, the things that need to be replaced with this kinda project, ran about 550 dollars. Laso had to buy new rims, they ran about 800, and tires were 900. now the work, to have it done, cost me about 4200, but it turned out great. I am sure I could have done it cheaper, but I trusted this guy. you will have to shop for yourself. Make sure if you have it done, they know what they are doing or the allignment will never be right.

With a truck, this is a cool idea. Like I said, I considered it for my blazer, but with the higher center of gravity, and the fact it is a daily driver, I chose to stick with the IFS lift. I am still unsure if I am going to be 100% happy with it, but I will get what I want out of it.

This is a BIG project, but you are right, in the long run, you will not regret it. Those toyotas can be found, I got lucky, but keep trying. the Danas they run are great, and very strong.

if you chose to go with Jeep parts, remember, the axle width is different with those, they are a bit shorter. but some people like that, it is your call. the Toyotas have the right measurements, therefore makes it a bit easier.

I know this was long, but it was my best answer to your questions here. i am sure there are other people who can guide you further. hopefully this helped.

Old 08-22-2007, 11:02 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

I know I'm not alone when I say that I'd love to see pics of your setup and ride Blazer10!

Old 08-22-2007, 11:32 PM

Here is the only one i could find on my computer, actually, on my personal MySpace page. But here it is.

This was last winter, and since I have changed the rims to 15x10's and put on 35's. Wish I had pics, but digital camera broke this past spring, and have not bought one since. Sorry it does not show the front end very well, if I can find the project pictures I took, and get them loaded I will post them later, for now, at least you know what i have now.

P.S.I tried to disable the link, but it did not work. I took the photo from my MySpace page, and it seems to link there, but the pictures are private unless you are a friend. Sorry, tried to make it jump to larger pic, if anyone knows how to do that, let me know. I can try to fix it. otherwise. Enjoy.

Old 08-22-2007, 11:57 PM

Oh, and this is my blazer. took out for a test run for the first time this past weekend.My buddy took the picture, very good shot I thought. Handles impressively well for being 100% stock at the moment. I will keep ya'll updated as i work on this too.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:36 PM
bluecoot is an unknown quantity at this point

I own a 79 toyota pickup and the pumpkin is on the pass side. On my 95 blazer I will need the pumpkin on the driver side. Did you put a different traney or transfer case setup in yours? I was thinking I would need to get a front axle out of a jeep.

Old 08-23-2007, 11:37 PM

Measure it. This brings up a very important detail. Now the one I got was a '85 and the set-up matched all but perfectly, but from I understand, it was only the years I mentioned. I would put money that the mirror image of what you have, would work. Flipping it woould be the trick, however, from what I understand, the set-up in the '81 thru the '87 was the same, and the one I got worked perfectly. I could be wrong here, I am just going off of some simple research, and the results matched my goal. Toyota, like other companies, made big changes in each decade, and i think that was one in the 80's. Otherwise, i was very, VERY lucky to have found one that matched. It worked for me, and that was what i was passing on here. I hope it helps. look into it, see what you can find. the dana's out of the jeeps will work, but the total width on the axles are very different, and may cause further issues.

The only other vehicle I would consider would be the ranger from the earlier years, but the gearing and the placement of the pumkin are a little off, but, would work,However, I have no respect for FORDS, ... ... ... but it is your call.

Another point, I wanted to mention, when it comes to suspension..... This depends on what you are looking for. Durability verses longevity. I went with a coil spring set-up for a little more flex and some usability, but the leafs have more longevity.They are a bit stronger. For light off-roading and some playing, the leafs are the better way to go, and still get day-to-day uses too, like towing......., however, for serious usability and possibities, the coils are better. They stretch further and soften more, allowing you to go further then you expected off-raod, but that is just my opinion here, others may feel different.

I hope any of this helps, remember, I am just another guy with an opinion here, and there are many times, that does not matter. Like this one. It is your call. Your money, and your choice. You could even stay with a very simple IFS lift as a toy, and build another truck for fun. That is what I did. Again, just a thought.

Old 08-25-2007, 04:15 PM
turbohaulic is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok so here we go. Basically most my comments are to blazer 10. Don't take this the wrong way but you really need to do better research. First off toyota went to an IFS in 86, 85 was the last year of solid front axels. From 79-85 they stayed basically the same with the exception of gearing and a few other minor details. Toyota's gearing never consisted of 4.27 gears. The closest gears to those would be the 4.10 or 4.37's, so I would say you have one or the other of those. Next the pumpkin is on the passenger side on all of the toyota axels so my next question would be, did a different t-case get put in to make it a passender side drive line? If not the idea a flipping an axel over to change the pumpkin side is a sweet idea if it would really work. Ok it might work but everything would be all jacked up. Your steering would be, well lets just say scary.

I would really like tosee this swap cause if you really paid as much money asyou said, and used every thing you claim you used. It would be one in and of itself, literally.

I own an 85 yoda that I wheel, two of my other buddy's both own 79's, my other friend has an 84, and my little bro has an 81Soooo maybe I'm full of sh-t butprobably not.

Old 08-25-2007, 09:32 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Alright this thread is way off.

Jeep axles are the closest your going to find. The driveshaft, steering linkage, brake hoses etc will all bolt up. Even has drivers sdie drop, not all years so look. The other option is not a Ranger axle, Rangers are IFS, always ahve been. Teh other option is a Ford, the early Bronco front axle. Which is a Dana 44 and you can get the matching 9" rear axle. The only other Dana 44 that will be the same wideth and bolt up is from a Full size Jeep truck. The other Jeep axles (cherokee, and wrnagler) are Dana 30's, no stronger then what you have, however they are a solid axle.

I get the impression someone has no clue what he is talking about.
I dont normally post up other S10 sites, however this one is Hardcore off roading and tehy have answered every question you could think of on Solid axle Swaps. Google S10 Extremists. I have the same member name over there.

Edited to add.
I am in the process of gather parts for my solid axleswap. I have been doing research into this swap for the past two years.

Old 08-28-2007, 01:00 PM

It is very possible that I got a truck that had already been modified. And in wich case you are right, it will never work, however, he wanted to know who has done it, and how hard it was.

As for the gears, I am not a novice at this, but that was a typo and I am sorry, it was 4.37, that was my bad. I did not change out the transfer case, and the pumkin did line up with mine. When I found this truck, I simply assumed that since it did not change for several years, that they were all the same. And I was told that they lept the solid axle until 88 and that was when they switched.

This is a forum for opinions and advice, if you wanna discredit me for explaining my personal experience, that is fine, I don't care. You wanna use different parts, different advice, thats fine I do not care, I am simply sharing my experience here.

If I had project pictures, I would post them, but when I get a hold of a digital camera again, hopefully soon, I will take new pics of the front end so your mind can rest easy, and you can see that I am not full of ^^^^.

Any more issues? I love the debate.

Quick Reply: Front axle swap