2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

4x4 dead replaced selector switch

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 06:47 PM
Jetfixer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 4x4 dead replaced selector switch

Hey all,
Got a new selector switch today and Now the selector switch lights flash when I start the car but then it goes dead again. The old one had no lights that came on so at the least now at least they flash. When I looked at the car originally before I bought it there was a service 4x4 light on. Could the guy have disconnected something? He said he just added oil to the transfer case. Is there any truth to that? Couod it be the TCCM. How much is it?
Thanks beforehand.

Old 12-23-2005, 02:29 AM
RIERA_ROMULO@MSN.COM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: 4x4 dead replaced selector switch

Here is some info that may be helpfull, I had a problem like yours with my 99 lt 4x4x4, what I had to do was to check the fuses, Y had 2 blown that weren't leting me reset the tccm, at least it seems like it, on my truck were the atc and the one for the cig lighter, that was my case, but here is something else...

***HOW TO CHECK WHAT IS WRONG***

You will probably know when your 4x4 has failed when you needed it in the mud pit.
To read the codes for the 4x4 with electric shift transfer case, install a jumper wire from terminals "J" and "A" on the ALDL (12 pin connector under the driver's side dash)

The lights on the 4x4 indicator (switch) will flash in a pattern, there are only 4 codes, one flash is code one, 2 flashes is a code 2, and so on...

Code "1" is "RAM standby power" and is considered normal, may be caused by clearing the codes.
Code "2" is "Encoder fault"
Code "3" is "TCCM motor circuit"
Code "4" is "RAM/ROM failure"

If you have the codes 2 or 3 check all the encoder motor connections at the transfer case, if OK it will need a new encoder motor assembly.
If you have code 4, replace the TCCM.

Make sure all connections are good and no corrosion, and then it's either an encoder or TCCM.

***TO FIX THE TCCM***

The TCCM is located behind the glove box, and is accessed from underneath the dash. To remove, the kick panel and black cover come off. Then a 1/4" screw holds the "brains" in the dash. The middle computer is the Truck's brain, the one on the backside is the TCCM, and on the front is the small ABS computer. Simply loosen the 2 10mm nuts on each side, and they will separate.

***WAYS TO FIX THE ENCODER MOTOR PROBLEM.***

This is the most common problem, and was my problem.

Cheap way - To clear the codes and reset the computer, pull the 5 amp TCCM fuse, located at the bottom of the fuse box. Wait at least a half hour, and then replace the fuse. Turn the ignition key to run, wait for the 4x4 lights to blink, and then turn off. Repeat 5 times, and then start the truck.

Decent price way - I just went and bought a rebuilt encoder motor from a company off of Ebay. Their company is http://www.northernautoparts.com The part cost me around $140 with a 1 year warranty and $38 core refund when I send the old one back.

Expensive way - buy a brand new one from GM for over $300.

***HOW TO INSTALL THE NEW ENCODER MOTOR***

Lucky way - Only thing that needs to be removed is the encoder motor itself. Tools needed are a 10mm hand wrench and a 8mm and 10mm socket wrench. The 10mm socket will work on the upper and lower bolts, while the regular wrench is needed for the middle bolt. (Tight squeeze). The 8mm socket is for the electric plug.
Then, just pull out, and wiggle it out of the truck. Install in reverse order.

Unlucky way - This means the encoder motor did not just wiggle out. Now the front drive shaft will have to be removed at the transfer case. Then, a yolk puller is needed in order to remove the yolk from the transfer case. Once this is done, go to the directions in lucky way.

Hope this helps...

Old 12-23-2005, 12:11 PM
Jetfixer is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks alot for the info. I have checked all the fuses and havent found any bad ones. I will check for any codes. I hope to get this thing fixed before any serious snow starts to fall. I appreciate the great info.

Old 12-23-2005, 01:54 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

That right there needs to be stickied for everyone to see.
Submit that to m00mwater and let her sticky it.

Nice job.[sm=groupwave.gif]