2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

96 Bravada 4.3 AWD

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 08:52 PM
Beginning Member
Tempest73 is on a distinguished road
Default 96 Bravada 4.3 AWD

Thanks for anyone that will help a guy that is admitting defeat in advance.

96 Olds Bravada, 4.3 AWD. Bought the truck when my oldest son advised me that I was going to be a grandfather, YAH!! I knew at purchase time the engine had a turnt bearing in it by the "H---" it was raising when started. But thats one of the clues, it started right up, ran as good as could be expected to have a bad lower end.

Advancing forward, motor after tear down found it had 2 spun rods and 1 main. Block, crank history. tore down 3 engines that where donated to the "poor engine builders club" to get enough parts to get it machined at the machine shop for a trusted rebuild. (cant have my new grandbaby broke down on the way to see grandpa you know).

Engine back together and back in the truck. Finally got the distributor back in time. Started and ran good. Here is where the problems start.

Once the engine started for the first time, oil pressure good, everything looking good. was happy with all the hard work we had put into it.

Developed a skip, scanner detected random misfire codes that I tried to correct with no noticeable change. Trans shift soliniod code to where it would not shift into overdrive, but engine problems main concern at the moment.
Started reading threads on here, lots of them, hours of reading, tried lots of answers to other problems still no resolve so here we are, guys I need help.

Rebuilt engine, compression, leak down test, all pass. Fuel pressure 60, new style spider asm, checked twice, ohmed out to no problems found. Smell fuel at tail pipe. could cycle ign key off and on for 10 mins or so to finally get it started only to skip and have a hesitation during acceleration until engine warmed up. Then ran as awesome as you could ask for. no skips, plenty of power. until you shut it off to cool, then same thing. Changed temp sensor, no change. Changed coil with no change. removed spider a 3rd time tested, tested, and tested, no problems found, now it wont start at all. plenty of spark, clamped of fuel return line at the tank. fuel pressure went to almost 70, dropped back to 60 and held over night, after 3 days held to 25 lbs. Ignition switch changed with no change to problem.

Info is priceless, and I could use any suggestions. The person that help's me fix this is going to receive a service kit for their mower at no cost. Thats right, I'll ship you what you will need to service your lawn mower on me. I don't expect anything for free, its the least I can do for keep me from taking my "AR" to it, if you know what I mean.

Thanks guys(gals) for any info or similar "fixes" to my issues.

Last edited by Tempest73; 08-13-2013 at 08:55 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-14-2013, 06:58 AM
AndrewO1991 is on a distinguished road

did the valves get tightened properly? The fuel pump on its own should be able to put out way more than 70psi, but the fact it was still at 25psi after 3 days rules out spider and regulator. My next thought is the ign control module. As of now the only codes are p0300 (random missfire) and the shift solenoid?

Old 08-14-2013, 08:54 PM
Beginning Member

Yes you are correct. I know that "tunnel vision" is a hard thing to over come when one has put as much effort into trying to figure out a problem. The original distributor did get damaged during the transition of engine rebuilds. Valves are all good, no problems detected during the leakdown test.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:40 PM
Beginning Member

Come on guys I know there are more ideas you could give to a brother in need.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:14 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I am betting on this issue being timing related. Have you followed the engine timing thread in the DIY section to a "T"?

Old 08-16-2013, 09:35 PM
Beginning Member

I cannot say truthfully that i have. But I will tomorrow. Followed instructions from friends and the net to put it into time. Pretty sure it is though. But I am going to review the thread and do it again no matter. will update tomorrow evening.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:43 PM
Beginning Member

do you know the link to it sir?

Old 08-17-2013, 06:52 AM
Beginning Member

Found it, Thanks. Very good article.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:57 PM
Beginning Member

I wanted to update the ones that tried to help me with this issue. Guys I tried all suggestions and some of them I tried twice. Did alot more reading in the "tech section" and after 3 weeks of trying I decided to try changing the distributor. That was the it, had plenty of spark before, looked to me that everything pointed elsewhere. But after running out of options and frankly getting more and more frustrated I took a chance on the distributor. Engine didn't turn over a half of a revolution before it started up and runs the best I can remember. No fault codes stored , no CEL's, can't be more pleased. I have learned alot from this forum, had to be re schooled on some things, but it is very satisfying to finally see a positive result of alot of hard hours and not to mention the money spent. If anyone has an issue that I might be able to help with, I will be more than happy to put my 1/4 of a cents worth in if anyone asks. Thanks again guys I really do appreciate the help.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:33 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

YAY, good to see people get there stuff fixed