2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

97 front end compatibility question - S10 truck to GMC Jimmy

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 07:23 PM
Starting Member
tkf5651 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 97 front end compatibility question - S10 truck to GMC Jimmy

I am looking at replacing the whole front clip of my 97 GMC Jimmy with the front end of a 97 S10 pickup and am wondering if everything will line up, including fenders and hood.

I got in a fender bender, and my car is all banged up and I found a 97 S10 the same color with perfect headlamps, fenders, hood, grille, and bumper cover. IF this was all bolt-up it would be real nice, but that seems almost too easy. I noticed the hood on the S10 is the style with the one crease in the middle ( shaped like [ (-^-) ] where my jimmy has a dip in the middle, and creases near the sides [ like (^-^) ] so i dont know if that is any good at all.

If anyone knew for sure the way things would line up that would be real nice.

Thanks,
Tim.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:28 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 97 front end compatibility question - S10 truck to GMC Jimmy

Everything is the same. Even the different grilles attach to the same core support***. The hoods are different aesthetically; structurally they are the same. The S10 hood will bolt up in the same manner as the GMC hood.

EDIT: If you're switching EVERYTHING over it will be the same. The bumper covers are different. The S10 will be flat across the top of the bumper cover and the GMC will have a dip in the bumper cover to allow for the GMC grille. You cannot use the GMC grille and the S10 bumper cover as the grille will have no place to 'tuck' into. The S10 grille will just look silly with the GMC bumper cover with a large gap below the grille.

97 Jimmy:

97 S10:

***OH WAIT! I just realized something. If the 97 S10 has sealed beams (like the ones in the picture above) the headlights won't work. The core support is also different than your Jimmy core support (if it has composite one-piece headlights). Not sure how this affects the grille.

Bottom line, the sheet metal will fit fine. You'll either need to go all GMC for the grille/bumper cover or all S10 for the grille/bumper cover. The headlights will only swap over if your Jimmy's headlights look like the S10 ones. Otherwise you will need either a 97 Blazer composite headlight or replacement Jimmy headlights.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:23 PM
Starting Member

that is it exactly. Let me know what you think, I am pretty confident I can get it to work as long as the fender/bumper cover/hood line up, i know the grill and headlights will mount, not the same as the gmc though. I am most concerned about the fenders and bump cover though, as my hood isnt too bad.

[IMG]local://upfiles/10631/7F50B1DF13F74E0C94B828E74437CCB3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/10631/3CB518211CAA41EEA50A2557B06A63F9.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-29-2008, 08:36 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

Ok the S10 has composite headlights so they will mount in your GMC core support. Fenders will match up without issue. Will you be using the headlights/grille/bumper cover together? That's the only way it will all fit correctly.

Ya you're right. I didn't realize how different the headlights were between Chevy and GMC. Must've been thinking about the 97 GMC and Bravada.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:51 PM
Starting Member

The plan is to use everything in that pic on the jimmy.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:54 PM
BF Veteran

Should be good to go, post up with pics of the process! We like pics...

Old 05-29-2008, 09:13 PM
Starting Member

It will most likely be taking place the weekend after next, ill keep you updated.