2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

ABS kicks on for no reason

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 09:38 PM
Blindthieves is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ABS kicks on for no reason

I just bought a 2000 blazer zr2 with 84000. The ABS kicks in for no reason at all, more so if I press the pedal faster.
The check light does not turn on but my braking is diffenatly effected. Is there a way to just disable the ABS, I dont have much money to fix it right now.

[IMG]local://upfiles/5286/DDC9D4E03EF94605B694400857DA121A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-26-2007, 09:42 PM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road
Default RE: ABS kicks on for no reason

mine does the same and i have an 01 with 105,000 on it they kick on and go off and my pedal gets stiff when they come on what i found out that is going on is a probability of a couple things wheel sensors are going out or out and the computer is messin up try this to reset the computer have the truck off and pull the plug on the computer wait 1-2 min then plug the computer harness back in see if that does it for ya.

Old 01-26-2007, 10:44 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

Try to feel which one is giving you trouble. I replaced a left front when it gave to much feedback through the pedal.

Old 01-27-2007, 12:35 AM
Kordog is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone!!! On these Blazers you DO NOT need to replace the ABS sensors to fix this. FREE FIX!!!!! Just take the rotors off, then remove the allen head bolt that holds the sensor into the hub bearing. Clean the surface of the hub that the sensor sits on, clean the sensor, and reassemble. Take care when removing the sensor though some times they are stuck pretty good. Oh yeah apply a little grease between the sensor and the hub to prevent the rust build up again. What happens here is the rust builds up under the sensor and increases the air gap for the sensor, when this happens the sensor cannot sense the speed very accurate at low speeds, so the computer sees a wheel with a different speed, and triggers the ABS. Good luck all!!! Korey.

Old 02-01-2007, 02:56 AM

Sorry I forgot to add that both front hubs are brand new. Maybe 3000 miles on them. They were installed right before Thanksgiving. I took the fuse out to disable the ABS completly but that also deactivates the cruise control which is not good. Should I try disconnecting the computer to see that makes a difference?

Old 02-01-2007, 07:47 AM
MNHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

If they were replaced that short of a time ago, I would go back to the place who did them and find out what is up. If you did it yourself then pull the ABS codes and see what the code is.

Old 02-02-2007, 01:46 AM

I took it to autozone a couple days after they installed the hubs to see if they code pull the codes and there werent any. The ABS light never lights up unless I pull the fuse. Could something be wrong with the rear sensors?

Old 02-03-2007, 03:00 AM
Kordog is an unknown quantity at this point

What you need to do is have someone with a scan tool that can watch live abs data ride with you. When you are stopping they need to look at the wheel speed numbers, when the truck gets to about 6 mph one of the sensors will drop out and then the abs will kick on. You could very well have a bad new part, I have seen that before. But this is the only way you will find out what sensor it is. I have very rarly ever seen this condition set a code. You just need to know what to look for. HTH Korey.

Old 02-04-2007, 04:22 AM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Condition
Some customers may comment on ABS activation at low speeds, usually below 8 km/h (5 mph). Upon investigation, the technician will find no DTCs set.

Cause
The cause of this condition may be an increased air gap between the wheel speed sensor and the hub reluctor ring due to rust and debris built up on the sensor mounting surface.

Correction
Measure AC voltage and clean wheel speed sensor mounting surfaces.

Raise the vehicle on a hoist.
Disconnect both the front wheel speed sensor harness connectors.
Place a DVM across the terminals of each sensor connector.
Rotate the wheel with hand speed and measure the ACmV's. The reading should be at least 350 ACmV's.
If the reading is between 200 and 350 ACmV's, remove the wheel, caliper and rotor in order to gain access to the speed sensor.
Remove the wheel speed sensor and plug the hole to prevent debris from falling into the hub during service.
Clean the speed sensor mounting surface on the hub to remove rust and corrosion.

Important
Make sure that the sensor sits flat on the hub. If the sensor flange is distorted, replace the sensor.

Apply a thin layer of bearing grease to the hub surface prior to sensor installation.

Install either the original sensor or a new one in the hub and secure the sensor. Ensure that the sensor is seated flush against the hub.
Install the rotor, the caliper and the wheel.

Place the DVM across the sensor terminals and recheck the voltage while rotating the wheel by hand. The voltage should now read at least 350 ACmV's.