2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

ABS light. Replaced both WSS. VSS?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 04:49 PM
Beginning Member
Kusstard is on a distinguished road
Default ABS light. Replaced both WSS. VSS?

Howdy y’all,
i have a 1995 two door Blazer with the weird OBD 1.5, with the ABS light constantly on. The initial issue was sporadic activation of the light, finally manifesting in the low speed ABS activation so famous on our trucks. I have gone and replaced both wheel speed sensors (old style, integrated into the dust shield for the brakes) back in September, but the ABS light remains on to this day. I have tried cleaning the ABS ground, battery terminals, looking for broken wires, and just doing simple stuff like disconnecting the battery for a few hours and reconnecting. Even tried disconnecting the ABS pump connectors and reconnecting. My last thought that I have before looking into a whole new pump assembly (please god no), is the VSS. My transmission shifts fine, albeit slowly from 1-2, but that is normal on these trucks. Speedo works fine, but my fiancé says I am
going slower than indicated whenever she drives in front of me, so there may be some discrepancy there. Could the VSS be the cause of this light? Or am I looking at a new pump?

I appreciate y’alls time, love this forum!

Old 04-18-2019, 11:17 PM
Rock18 is on a distinguished road

I was about to ask what codes it might be throwing, but then I saw OBD 1.5 and I remembered that I don't know the first thing about OBD 1.5. If you can get it scanned somewhere though that might go a long way to telling you where to look for problems. I wouldn't want to replace the pump until I was completely out of ideas; that's an expensive fix to throw at it if you're not sure it's going to work.

There's a common problem in later models at least with solder joints in the ABS control module failing. Either re-flowing those joints or sending it off to be rebuilt for ~$50 is the common fix. However determining whether or not that's the appropriate fix for your '95 is beyond my diagnostic abilities though, sorry.

You might consider jacking it up and checking the wheel bearings too. Failing bearings can be associated with ABS issues, and at least it's cheap, fast and easy to check 'em.

You might try checking the speedo against a GPS, smartphone app or such to get a feel if it's really off. If it is, that's usually a sensor at the transmission, not the wheel.

Good luck.

Old 04-19-2019, 03:25 PM
Beginning Member

I appreciate the reply! The ABS is just off now, not really affecting today to day life, I just hate that light and would rather fix it than cover it with tape. I’m trying to hang onto her as best I can, cause she’s beautiful, low mileage, with a lot of potential to be built out for fishing and camping and other outdoorsy stuff. The ABS light, u-joints, and rear shocks are the last things on my to do list before she’s “perfect”, general maintenance aside.

Old 04-19-2019, 07:41 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

I solved my abs light by removing the pump altogether, and covering the light with tape under the glass lol.

Interestingly enough, if you simply remove the abs light from the cluster, it triggers the brake warning light.

Old 04-20-2019, 04:17 AM
Mike.308 is on a distinguished road

VSS signal loss turns the transmission into a limp mode. Sice Yours shifts fine, I would exclude VSS.

Old 04-20-2019, 05:29 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks Mike, I was thinking that it would be too easy, I’ll take another look at the wiring harnesses, see if there’s a lack of continuity somewhere.