2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

This hose doesn't go here, does it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 09:27 PM
BorderCougah is on a distinguished road
Default This hose doesn't go here, does it?

Hey guys

So stupid question, I know. But when I got the Blazer, what I'm ASSUMING is the Coolant Overflow hose was plugged what I'm also assuming is the AC Dryer/Accumulator. Pics to follow.

Now, I'm not en expert on these Blazers, but I'm 95% certain it doesn't go there. Which begs the question: Where does it go?

Anyone care to show me or have pics ready?

1997 Blazer 4dr LT.

Thanks!

Old 04-13-2019, 09:45 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

That is not only wrong, it's so wrong, that I'm very curious who gets the previous owner dressed in the mornings. No way they can figure out clothes, if they think the air conditioning system needs a tie in with the cooling system.

That hose is indeed the coolant overflow hose. On mine it just hangs down, and drains under the truck. No pics handy, and it's dark and raining right now. If you want, I can get some in the morning

Old 04-13-2019, 09:52 PM
BorderCougah is on a distinguished road

Just knowing it hangs down is enough. Bit concerning, but I guess if it is an overflow hose, it makes sense.

Still, I'd have figured "Drain overflowing coolant onto the ground:" would have gone out of cars since the 70s.

Old 04-13-2019, 10:19 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by BorderCougah
Just knowing it hangs down is enough. Bit concerning, but I guess if it is an overflow hose, it makes sense.

Still, I'd have figured "Drain overflowing coolant onto the ground:" would have gone out of cars since the 70s.
LOL I'm with ya, but where else you gonna put overflowing coolant? The glove box? 😁

Besides, unless you're overheating, it shouldn't ever purge coolant out

Old 04-13-2019, 10:53 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

Working in a salvage yard over the last 8 years I've seen some things, but that makes it pretty high up on the list lmao

I mean, at least no harm would really ever come of that, even if the coolant overflowed down the tube and made it's way to the drier, it's connected to the high pressure port and the coolant pressure would never in a million years back-feed into the AC system. But it's still hilarious to think that the previous owner seen that hose dangling and thought "oh that can't be good, it must connect here"

Old 04-13-2019, 11:08 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by cleburne red
Besides, unless you're overheating, it shouldn't ever purge coolant out
He must of lost the fill port cap and wanted to keep the dirt out ....... stupid is as stupid does......

As far as the hose on the over flow tank it is hooked to the tank vent - coolant cools down it sucks air, coolant heats up it expels air, and as you said inless engine is at the boiling point there is never any coolant that high in the tank, If you do happen to get engine to the boiling point the hose keeps coolant from spewing all over the engine compartment.

Old 04-13-2019, 11:11 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by odat
He must of lost the fill port cap and wanted to keep the dirt out ....... stupid is as stupid does......
As much as I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, somehow I don't think this is the case here, lol

Old 04-14-2019, 11:17 AM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

Ya it hangs down from the coolant tank. That's crazy dumb. Maybe honorable mention for a Darwin Award. Is that AC port OK after you pull the hose off? Does your AC work OK? That accumulator is on the low pressure side which if low on gas can go into a vacuum but I don't know if it can pull the schrader valve open in this case.

George

Old 04-14-2019, 11:45 AM
BF Veteran

I doubt having the hose there would do anything to the ac system. Even if the coolant overflowed, it's not gonna get that Schrader valve to open.

Old 04-14-2019, 12:57 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

If you are responding to my comment then perhaps I was not clear. The coolant tank overflow vent line is at atmospheric pressure on our trucks. It cannot itself force open a schrader valve that contains refrigerant under positive pressure. If however, the AC system gets low enough on gas, the suction side will go into a vacuum while the system is running. When that happens, any leak in the system can introduce non-condensables which include air and moisture. Because that port has in effect, no sealed cap - that possibility exists in this case. I have seen this in residential AC. That goofy drain hose is the absence of a properly sealed schrader port cap which is open to the atmosphere.

I must admit that the picture got me to laugh, not at the OP but the work that preceded him. :-)

George

Last edited by GeorgeLG; 04-14-2019 at 01:01 PM.

Quick Reply: This hose doesn't go here, does it?