2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

ABS/Parking Brake Light Briefly Flash Together as Interior Fan/AC Stop spinning?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 03:59 PM
cide is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a very weird problem that I have never experianced in the entire year I've been driving this Jimmy, Its a 1998 SLS with 350,000KM's on it.

The problem started happening pretty much after I washed it at the Handheld car wash, I did the wheel wells and behind the wheels a little bit to get rid of dirt and salts.

As soon as I would start driving, About 30 feet away both the ABS and the EMERGENCY BRAKE LIGHT would come on together - And they would then disapear after about 1 second.

What started happening yesterday was that they would not to my notice flash up cold start each time, But insted randomly came on - This time the interior/creature comfort fan totally stopped spinning for the 1 or so second duration they were on for, As soon as they disapeared the fan began to spin again.

I remember closing the Passenger Glove Box compartment - You know how you have to slam it to close it usually? Well, I did so and upon doing so the fan also breifly stopped spinning inside the second I closed it. but it came back alive again.

I dont know if this ABS/Parking brake light situation is related to the fan or not, But it sure seemed like it did yesterday when they all went out together.

For the record: I am jumping a fuse Still - To fix a broken Electronic ignitition switch - By using rear windshield wiper power to the Fuse 11 - its fused off the Rear Windshield Wiper, For whatever reason this fixes the broken ignition switch - I can't afford to buy a new one right now because I just lost my job, I will however be able to soon. Swartek said it shouldn't cause any problems..

Anyone able to help me gets two thumbs up.

I was just in rush hour traffic, while stuck in a turning lane for about 5 minutes, It happened FOUR times back-to-back in a period of about 30 seconds.

To clarify,
What happens each time is distinctly this: The cabin air fan stops first - Then a second later the ABS/PARKING lights come on - As these lights flash on the CABIN AIR FAN starts WORKING again. They flash off.

When I took off (My time to get moving again) after this happened 4 TIMES IN A ROW, I heard the ABS unit engage breifly on the drivers left side.

Why would the ABS/PARKING lights turn off my Cabin Air Fan?

This is scaring me

Last edited by swartlkk; 07-29-2009 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Combining Consecutive Posts. Please use the EDIT feature to add additional information to your post. Consecutive Posting is prohibitted.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:08 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It is possible that your ignition switch is failing in other respects now as well. There are two main ignition sources that go through the ignition switch. From the sounds of it, you have fixed one of them, but the other is starting to burn out.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:19 AM

Yes,
So the obvious solution would be to replace the electronic ignition switch unit? Right?

I wanted to reflect on whats happened a day after posting this.

I noticed that when the fan/AC is not on - There is no ABS/Parking brake light emergencies... Period, But as soon as I turned the AC on the lights came again, And then started coming on their own, Without AC or Cabin Fan being on...

It seems now that the ABS will come on by itself and stay on for about 15 seconds, Then the parking light will follow, The parking light will go out, Then the ABS will soon go out as well.

You say there are two main ignoition sources? Are they both contained in the 100$~ or so replaceable ignition switch?

I will have this switch replaced by the shop that replaced my steering wheel/rekeyed the tumbler a few months ago... i think what happened was I got a bunk Ignition switch on the replacement wheel, Whereas mine was actually good - but they threw it out - So you bet they will be giving me a half *** decent deal on the install

Anyway,
Any other thoughts?
The car drives fine besides this oddity problem... I just hope I didnt burn anything else out,
Is that possible?
Should I start by replacing the switch and then follow up?

Old 08-04-2009, 09:41 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would first go over all of the grounds in the engine bay and under the dash to make sure that it is not a loose or corroded ground. Reading through this again and seeing that it seems it may be load based would point me to a bad ground a bit quicker than an ignition switch failure. Although both could exhibit the same symptoms.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:02 AM

Hmm. My mechanic friend says it's likely not the ignition switch... I'm wondering if it could be due to the ground I drilled for a small amp... I ran the 8g pos to the thick main that feeds the main fuse box.... I fused it and I only get minor light dimming on theheads at max bass.... This prob is driving me crazy....

Since it began with a car wash... Can water enter from the air intake vents??? Shouldi avoid spraying those??