2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Arghhh please rescue me lol.... HVAC gone after battery disconnect...

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 07:43 PM
Beginning Member
BaLListic_Evo is on a distinguished road
Default Arghhh please rescue me lol.... HVAC gone after battery disconnect...

This truck is really starting to turn into a huge money pit. I bought it a week ago and so far have put a new fuel pump on new rear brakes which are now appear to be stuck on the drivers side so here comes a caliper.

Anyway here is the current issue at hand. I disconnected the battery trying to fix some 4x4 issues I was having just to reset everything. Upon reconnecting the battery my AC now blows hot as hell... Looks like reading over stuff that its a blend door actuator but how exactly could disconnecting the battery cause this to happen? Vs spending yet another 100ish dollars on a 500 dollar truck can i switch this manually? Is that even the issue?

BTW this is a 98 blazer automatic with 4 wheel drive issues among others it just keeps adding up... Currently Im about ready to cut my losses and drive this mother ****er off a big cliff lol.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:01 PM
RonJon is an unknown quantity at this point

With the key off - remove the RDO BATT fuse from the dashboard fuse block for 10 seconds, put it back in & turn the key to the RUN for a minute without starting it. You should hear noises from the heater while the door finds its min/max positions. Turn it off, start it and hopefully it quits trying to roast your peanuts. <G>

Old 06-04-2010, 08:07 PM
Beginning Member

I think I understand from reading what is happening here... appears that this condition was aggravated for me and for many others because the selection **** was stationary and not used for a decent amount of time such as a season and during that season i assume the gears dry rot and become very brittle. Once you replace the battery at that point it puts more load than normal on the gears thus breaking the gears once test mode starts...

Mine sounds like it is running one direction non stop and never quits.... i think it made it over to heat and now doesn't have gears to return.. just an assumption perhaps all of this is completely off base?

In the mean time can I actuate the door by hand so I can use ac?

Old 06-04-2010, 08:40 PM
RonJon is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds logical to me, old brittle plastic and it would be a higher load while the motor finds the travel ending points. I recall a thread in the past where someone tried to put the pieces back together and reinforce it with a bit of metal, I know it worked when he got done, don't recall the longterm result. I suppose with a bit of experimenting you could remove it & finagle the door but I don't know if the door would just flop around. It'd be great if you could just buy a new gear but all I've heard of is the whole motor.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:40 PM
Beginning Member

in the mean time i will pull it apart and tape the door open lol... 95 degrees tomorrow east coast humid heat as well ...

Old 06-05-2010, 12:46 PM
Beginning Member

I atleast got this thing switched over to AC by removing the blend door actuator turning it over to Ac then putting the blend door actuator back on not plugged in... Unless i feel the need i wont be replacing this any time soon lol... The gear was indeed cracked in half. It appears it would have still worked but it seems the issue with all this is once the gear cracks it no longer has enough tension to hit that stopping point and the gear just slips around the metal piece... I really find it hard to believe nobody has sprung and got these gears made yet. Perhaps I will do a little pricing and see if an RC car gear maker might take up the task pricing may be insane though

Old 06-06-2010, 01:28 AM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

I agree making pieces to do fixes would be nice. But there is not profit in $.25 parts. They make much more selling a $30.00+ motor.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:23 AM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

The motor is more like $52. I believe it's the same or similar one that's in the Wife's Buick Regal:

Actuator

Here's what the cracked gear looks like once you take it apart: