2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Best Injector Cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 07:21 PM
Beginning Member
Zach8846 is on a distinguished road
Default Best Injector Cleaner

I have a 1995 Blazer and many people have told me that my injectors might be leaking and the shop I usually go to for repairs quoted me 1,000 for the injectors and so forth, that is ridiculous. It could easily be something else and no it doesn't need a tune-up because I just had a full one done for about 400 dollars. I've have heard about injector cleaners that could possibly make a difference (like Lucas upper cylinder lubricant) but I'm still not sure about which one to choose. If an experienced person could point me in the right direction as far as injector cleaners go, that would be helpful.
Thanks.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:38 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

If your injectors are leaking, injector cleaner probably wont fix it.
Did the shop tell you that they were leaking? what made you bring it into the shop in the first place?

If the shop told you that they were leaking, I am assuming they did a fuel pressure and leak down test? if so, can you find out those results?

and also, 1000$ to do injectors is absolutely insanely high.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:05 PM
er0ck273 is on a distinguished road

my injectors were clogged, and i tried everything from premium gas to additives etc. nothing worked. i paid 600ish for all 6 of my injectors to be replaced. and i considered my mechanic to be on the high side.

but to answer your question, i use gumout complete fuel system cleaner. idk how it works, but i usually get an extra boost in mpg by atleast 2-3mpg when averaging at fill up, and it gives me an extra bit of power, i can feel it on the highway

but as rich said, it wont help you if theyre leaking lol

Old 04-23-2014, 05:26 AM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

I've never been a fan of any type of fuel system treatment stuff. If your injectors are actually leaking, they need to be replaced. $1,000 is ridiculous. Go to rock auto .com, buy yourself the injector, spend maybe an hour on here reading all the threads talking about it, and do it in your driveway. You don't need much more than a 10mm socket! I can do one in under an hour, start to finish, but I've had the plenum off way more times than I should have, lol!

Old 04-23-2014, 09:11 PM
Beginning Member
Zach8846 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by cleburne red
I've never been a fan of any type of fuel system treatment stuff. If your injectors are actually leaking, they need to be replaced. $1,000 is ridiculous. Go to rock auto .com, buy yourself the injector, spend maybe an hour on here reading all the threads talking about it, and do it in your driveway. You don't need much more than a 10mm socket! I can do one in under an hour, start to finish, but I've had the plenum off way more times than I should have, lol!
Could it make my fuel mileage terrible, I get around 100 miles on alittle over 3/4 tank. Could my gas gauge be inaccurate (it moves back when I accelerate and doesn't move much when full as it does when it goes below 3/4 tank). Is there a low fuel light or does the check gauges light come on for a 1995 Blazer.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:52 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Zach8846
Could it make my fuel mileage terrible, I get around 100 miles on alittle over 3/4 tank. Could my gas gauge be inaccurate (it moves back when I accelerate and doesn't move much when full as it does when it goes below 3/4 tank). Is there a low fuel light or does the check gauges light come on for a 1995 Blazer.
to better calculate your mileage, fill it all the way up, and reset the trip odometer. Drive awhile, couple hundred miles, however you normally drive, and fill it up again, completely. Divide miles driven by gallons. 100 miles on 3/4 of a tank is about seven or so mpg, pretty terrible! You need to do the actual math, though, because on mine, 3/4 tank is kinda misleading; even with the needle on "E" I usually still have four gallons in the tank.

As far as the gas gauge, it might be inaccurate. Some movement, though, is to be expected in the needle. If I really step on it hard, mine could move almost to empty, and a stab on the brakes brings 'er back to full! It's just how the float is set up on the sending unit. The fuel sloshing around the tank can trick the sending unit into seeing a lower level.

I'm not sure of all '95s, since it was a transitional year, but on my '95 there is no low fuel light or anything that comes on. I've ran it completely out of gas before and never had any lights come on.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:14 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by cleburne red
Yup, what he said, its super simple to replace the injectors on here, if you have some basic mechanical knowledge, you can do it.

Does your engine look like this?

Attached Thumbnails Best Injector Cleaner-gmc-jimmy-engine-4.jpg  

Last edited by richphotos; 04-23-2014 at 11:17 PM.
Old 08-08-2022, 11:02 PM
Beginning Member
Bigrig40 is on a distinguished road
Default Barymans b12

That's my fav after using techron..