2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Blazer cranks but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 04:42 PM
Beginning Member
Rhodes19 is on a distinguished road

Thanks Jigger. Just found O'Riley in the phone book. I'll have to go by tomorrow.

Old 12-04-2009, 06:59 AM
Starting Member
Bad Attitude is on a distinguished road

Hey There

My blazer did a similar thing apparently it is a fault with the coil on my truck so the mechanic told me today so they are replacing the coil the coil lead and plugs.

When I first checked the engine myself it had spark and fuel flow but the fault only showed when they put the coil on a test bench.

Hope this helps

Old 12-06-2009, 04:04 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks BA. That may be next.

Well, I finally found a fuel pressure gage to use. When I turn on the ignition, the gage read 56, 58 and when I turned the ignition off, it dropped to 54. As I left it there, it eventually dropped to 48. I took the gage off at that time. A strange think happened when I tried to start it. It actually started! Not smoothly, but rought after a few seconds of cranking. I was able to drive it up the drive way but it was slow and it stuttered. It did not like being given the gas and would bog down. Based on the pressures given, what should I look at next? Thanks.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:14 PM
jigger is on a distinguished road

Sounds like you are close to or at the bottom of the limits.
Did you say you changed the fuel filter? I don't remember.
If you did not then that is the next step. If you did then either the fuel pressure regulator or fuel pump. My GUESS would be the pump, maybe one of the smart guys could back me up on that. Or shoot me down!!! ha ha.
Good luck Rhodes

Old 12-07-2009, 01:00 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks Jigger,

I haven't changed the filter yet but I'll pick up a filter on the way home tonight and try to replace it. I'll have to break out the work lights. The gentleman who let me borrow his gage also let me borrow his line wrenches and a plastic ring set to help remove the clip on the other side. Should be fun. Any idea what the pressure should be?

Old 12-07-2009, 03:13 PM
jigger is on a distinguished road

I'm not positive but I think it should be around 60, the smart guys should be able to square that up. If the filter is clogged up that may be enough to put you at the bottom of the limits- could be a cheap fix-hope so. You may be able to get the pressure info from either the auto parts store or the dealer or google?
Good luck

Old 12-07-2009, 05:04 PM
Beginning Member

Cool Beans. I'll check on the way home. As long as its not the pump......

Old 12-08-2009, 04:37 AM
Starting Member
Bad Attitude is on a distinguished road

Hows it going with your truck I got mine back today

Old 12-08-2009, 09:45 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Bad Attitude
Hows it going with your truck I got mine back today
Slow. Every time I plan on doing something, I wind up getting sidetracked. I was able to pick up a new fuel filter last night and if I can leave work early today I will try to install it.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:49 PM
Beginning Member

Finally, I got it fixed. Between the torential down pours we have been having and unscheduled distractions, I finally replaced the fuel filter!!! I had to jump start it and get fuel into the lines but it finally turned over and started!!!!! It ran rough for a few minutes but when I took it out on the road for a test drive it ran better. Even the sluggish accelleration is gone. My daughter was happy to get her Blazer back. I want to say thankyou to all of you for your advice and help. I greatly appreciate it.

Quick Reply: Blazer cranks but won't start