2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Blazer's 4wd Performance

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 09:58 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

Regarding my statement about replacing the rear diff....yeah I would just replace the carrier. My question about whether drum or disc brakes was for when I go looking so I do not have to spin every Chevy truck with an 7.625" diff to see if it has G80 or not.

Do not know anything about this "luchbox" locker...will have to investigate it....but probably just go with an aftermarket carrier.

Last edited by LannyL81; 08-24-2020 at 02:06 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 01:55 PM
Rusty Nuts is on a distinguished road

Lunchbox. Sorry for the typo. Forgot the n. A compact locker that mounts in your existing open carrier.

Old 02-18-2018, 02:22 PM
Starting Member
Lefet is on a distinguished road

This is a most informative and enjoyable thread.
Thanks!

Old 02-19-2018, 04:58 PM
theprofreshonal is on a distinguished road

+1 for the G80 or Lunchbox Lockers

Stock 4WD Blazer is junk. So bad that I thought mine was not working, turns out it is working, its just terrible in the snow. Like has been said, stock Blazer 4WD is actually 2WD, one in front & one in back. Without real lockers or LSDs, power in an open differential set up goes to the path of least resistance, ie. the wheel with least traction. I know it will be an unpopular opinion, & I do love my GMC Jimmy but it really has the worst stock 4WD system I have come across, just my $0.02.

Old 02-20-2018, 01:33 PM
Rusty Nuts is on a distinguished road

If the tires aren't made to grip ice and snow, they won't grip ice and snow. My 2nd gen had a good set of off road tires when I got it but they did nothing but spin on snow. A good set of all season tires has made all the difference. Even with a one wheel peel it's very capable with the right tires.

Old 02-22-2018, 05:32 AM
Beginning Member
98 4x4 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by man0steel
Become familiar with the vacuum system and take a couple of feet of vacuum line and a couple of connectors with you.
great advice there!

Old 02-22-2018, 10:20 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by man0steel
Become familiar with the vacuum system and take a couple of feet of vacuum line and a couple of connectors with you.

Originally Posted by 98 4x4
great advice there!
It is so easy to swap out these lines and so inexpensive, I'd suggest replacing them as a quick afternoon project when it gets warm enough to do so. If you have a 4-button system, you don't even have to get under the truck to do it.

Old 02-24-2018, 06:57 AM

Have already replaced all the vacuum lines and yeah....just under the hood for me.

Tires are "everything!" Speaking of which....I am just about due for a new set.

Did my first trail drive last weekend. No problems other than thought the Blazer was going to be shaken apart due to all the ripples in the trail. Was about an hour long due to the ripples as I was going pretty slow. But t'was my first "high clearance vehicles only" trail...the longest period I have ever kept the 4wd on...although really did not need it. This was more of a trial than a real trip.

Old 02-24-2018, 04:48 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

I`vw always believed it was a good idea to activate your 4wd every month or so to keep things moving and keep the transaxle lubricated. Hey whether or not you if its working!

Old 02-27-2018, 09:10 PM

Yeah...I thought so too for a long time but then I thought I read/determined that everything is always turning (when in motion of course) and the only difference is that the T-case is not being driven by transmission/engine....I stopped doing a monthly 4wd engagement.

Correct me if I am wrong here.

Quick Reply: Blazer's 4wd Performance