2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Blower motor resistor and hazard switch

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 04:35 AM
Beginning Member
sagoo33 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Blower motor resistor and hazard switch

Hi guys,

I have a 99 Chevrolet blazer (right hand drive, Japanese import).

I am looking to replace the HVAC Blower Motor Resistor and Hazard light switch.

I am looking for advice on whether I should go for the ac delco or dorman resistor.
I also need a wiring harness as my connector has melted (see photos).

I am looking at these on ebay:
HVAC Blower Motor Resistor Kit Dorman 973-551 | eBay
or
HVAC Blower Control Module ACDelco GM Original Equipment 15-8752

Is the Dorman suitable for this? I know for some parts it is always better to go with ac delco.

Also, I am struggling to find the correct part for my hazard switch, it seems that my vehicle is different to the normal 99 blazers, for the location of the relay/switch etc.
Mine is a combined relay, the only part that I can find which looks the same appears to be for a Corvette:
Amazon Amazon

Can anyone tell me if this part will be suitable?

I have attached some photos of the various parts.

Thanks!
Adam

Attached Thumbnails Blower motor resistor and hazard switch-connector.jpg   Blower motor resistor and hazard switch-hazard.jpg  
Old 05-15-2017, 07:10 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would agree that the hazard switch you linked to looks similar to the pictures of your current switch. Given that there are only a few members that own RHD models on the forum, you'll likely have to give it a try and let the rest of us know if it works or not.

Concerning the blower motor resistor, I would go with whichever is cheaper, more readily available, and/or has a better warranty. This isn't one of those things that must be AC Delco.

Old 05-15-2017, 08:02 PM
Strangerock is on a distinguished road

My step daughter needed a blower resister for her "choke here" DURANGO and I bought a standard motor products one ....it appeared to be upgraded and better built than the original dodge one....and dorman also often claim to upgrade the part they are copying .

Old 05-16-2017, 05:23 AM
Beginning Member

Great, thanks guys, I'll let you know how it goes, thanks for the quick replies

Old 05-29-2017, 02:53 AM
Beginning Member

Well the new hazard switch arrived today, I plugged it in, tested the hazards, worked great!
I thought it was sorted, then I tested the indicators, and they flash at triple speed, so unfortunately this particular hazard switch does not fit my RHD blazer

Old 05-29-2017, 07:23 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If the indicators flash appropriately, just fast, you could get a different flasher or mod your current one to remove the load sensing feature that lets you know there is a bulb out to see if that results in a normal flash frequency. I think I have posted how to mod the flasher in the past for those that have installed LED bulbs.

Old 05-31-2017, 05:33 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks swartlkk, I might as well give modding it a go

I have replaced the blower resistor today, annoying little job having to take out the air filter, washer tank, overflow tank and ECM just to get to the bottom screw of the resistor (at least on the RHD model).

It seems to work ok, however, the speed of the blower seems reduced as to what I remember it, and the max speed varies depending on what temperature is set.
It blows harder on cold and softer on heat, any thoughts as to why that could be?

Is it a sign the blower fan motor is dodgy (could be what made the resistor plug burn out in the first place?)

Thanks again for the help!

Old 05-31-2017, 07:38 PM
Administrator

What you are thinking is a blower air volume decrease (as in a decrease in the amount of air flowing through the system) from cool to heat may simply be a difference in audible volume (sound) due to the difference in air flow paths through the HVAC system. When on max cool, the air will be drawn into the HVAC housing from an inlet inside the cabin which will be much more audible than when on regular cool or heat.