2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Brake D'oh! and Warning Lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 10:07 AM
davidshaw291 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brake D'oh! and Warning Lights

Alright, I was a dumb@ss and didn't remove brake fluid from mysystem before changing the brakes and rotors on the front brakes like you're suppose to. I have the dual frontcalipers and as I compressed the last set, I notice what was probably brake fluid trickling down the inside of the wheelwell and realized what I did. I put it all back together and the brakeswent back up to pressure aftera couple of pumps. It seemed to run fine for a couple of days. I haven't looked under the hood, either. Frankly, I was too scared to.

Then, on the way to work, the 'ABS' & 'BRAKE(!)' warning lights came on and stayed on. I parked it and restarted and they went off.

Oh, '01 4x4, btw.

Did I do anything worse than purge a few oz of brake fluid from the system that I can just replace or did I likely scr*w myself? Anything I should inspect closely to make sure I didn't rupture? The warning lights are probably on because of low brake fluid, right? Any input is welcome, Amigos.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:12 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Brake D'oh! and Warning Lights

Low fluid will probably trip the light. Have you checked the level since the brake job?
BTW, [sm=welcomesign.gif]to the forum.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:13 PM

No, I haven't lifted the hood yet.

What would likely happen if you compressed your calipers without removing some brake fluid?

Old 10-10-2007, 01:17 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

You would push brake fluid out of the fluid reservoir.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:31 PM

Oh, I'm pretty sure that it did, but is it likely to come out of the top cap or woud it permanently rupture sumthin. Thanks!

Old 10-10-2007, 02:13 PM
BF Guru

David, you're going to have to lift the hood and look. You should be able to see the spot where the fluid came out from the reservoir. I can't just make a guess without seeing it.

Old 10-10-2007, 02:43 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I've never removed fluid before, but I also don't add any fluid between brake changes on my vehicles.

Anyway, it is obvious that someone had added fluid. Now, hopefully you didn't crack the brake fluid res... I agree though, you have to get under the hood and inspect for leaks/cracks. It is possible that fluid just got onto the sensor in the res and has caused it to malfunction in some way.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:03 AM

Ah....answer: Too much brake fluid, filled past the top marker and almost out the top of the reservoir. Siphoned out 1/2 cup and it appears fine now.

Man, WTF? I've never touched the brake fluid and best I can figure isit was overfilledwhenI got an oil change and transmission servicetwo weeks.Odd, it was even done at a Chevydealership.

Oh well, one for the books and thanks for your help!