2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Bypass Heater Core

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 02:20 AM
BlznAnt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bypass Heater Core

My '95 4X4 Blazer has been leaking coolant into the passenger side floor. I have checked all the hoses and replaced the thermostat but when I have the A/C on it contantly streams out from under the dash. I live in Phoenix and this time of year I have no need for the heater so I am wanting to by pass the heater core completely. I have connected the hose going in to the firewall to the hose coming out of the firewall and skipping the heater core.

Will this effect anything mechanical wise on the engine? Will this effect the A/C in any way. I haven't driven it yet, but will eventually need to take it out. Please advise if you have any idea. Thanks

MSD 6AL Ignition
MSD Blaster Coil
Jet Performace Pulleys
Jet Performance Chip II
Magnaflow Performance Exhaust
Pioneer Deck w/ 4 pioneer 6 1/2 3 ways
Alpine 500w amp
Duel Boxed 2 12's w/ Duel 400w amp

Working on headers, lowering kit

Old 05-08-2007, 05:00 PM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Bypass Heater Core

This should only be considered temporary for testing purposes, it will not affect anything mechanical. It might raise the temperature a few degrees since the coolant flow is supposed to flow constantly through the core unless it gets plugged...if your DexCool is older than 5yrs or 100K mi then you need to replace it. When air gets into the cooling system rust will begin inside the engine where air has a chance to contact the metal surface, DexCool does not have an anti-rust inhibitor that sticks to metal parts, so when air enters the coolant passages it can start the rust process...make sure that when you refill the system it does not have any air. You can also refill with a third party product DexCools primary focus was designed for aluminum engine parts and aluminum engines.

Old 05-08-2007, 07:25 PM
BlznAnt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Bypass Heater Core

Thanks 20Blazer00.Though it wasn't really a leak, it was more of a stream and the floor of thepassenger sidewas soaked with coolant. However,I just arrived back from running to the store and it seems to have completelystopped.

TheDexCool that was initially in at the time it started was put in around October. I had some major transmission work doneand some additional work. So it wasn'told at all. It actually started leaking slowlyon the way home from the lake last weekend and just got worse from there. Theengineran cool until I start with stop and go traffic. Then it started leaking and from there ended up ina stream with the heateror A/C on. Wheneither is off then it returns to a drip.

I do have have a hose connecting the input and out put hoses that go into the core sowouldn'tthat be a constant flow? I also have a 180degree thermostat so it should openmore frequently. The temp on my trip to the store was stable and I did run the A/C. I also leftit running when I went into the store with A/C on. (my dog was in car soIlock her in with car running) But I agree the bypass thing is temporary. I hate leaving things like that.

Why would from one minute to the next it just start toleak especially if the heater isn't being used? Itactually hashappened before breifly less than a year ago butI was told it was due to the fan clutch being removed. I put a new one on and it stopped immediately. But it did not pour out like this time. The radiator and hoses are less than 5 years old. Only thing I know that is old is the core. But could it just give out like that?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. I really don't want to have to tear up the dash to replace it, especailly if it might not even be the problem. Especially here in Phoenix. The heater wouldn't be used until next December if it gets used at all, so it might end up being left as is. I appreciate any input. Thanks again.

MSD 6AL Ignition
MSD Blaster Coil
Jet Performace Pulleys
Jet Performance Chip II
Magnaflow Performance Exhaust
Pioneer Deck w/ 4 pioneer 6 1/2 3 ways
Alpine 500w amp
Duel Boxed 2 12's w/ Duel 400w amp

Working on headers, lowering kit